Assessment of three new parasite lactate dehydrogenase (pan-pLDH) tests for diagnosis of uncomplicated malaria.
Guthmann, J P
AffiliationEpicentre, 8 rue Saint Sabin, 75011, Paris, France. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA study to assess the diagnostic capabilities of three parasite lactate dehydrogenase (pan-pLDH) tests, Vistapan), Carestart and Parabank), was conducted in Uganda. An HRP2 test, Paracheck-Pf), and a Giemsa-stained blood film were performed with the pLDH tests for outpatients with suspected malaria. In total, 460 subjects were recruited: 248 with positive blood films and 212 with negative blood films. Plasmodium falciparum was present in 95% of infections. Sensitivity above 90% was shown by two pLDH tests, Carestart (95.6%) and Vistapan (91.9%), and specificity above 90% by Parabank (94.3%) and Carestart (91.5%). Sensitivity decreased with low parasitaemia (chi(2) trend, P<0.001); however, all tests achieved sensitivity >90% with parasitaemia > or =100/microl. All tests had good inter-reader reliability (kappa>0.95). Two weeks after diagnosis, 4-10% of pLDH tests were still positive compared with 69.7% of the HRP2 tests. All tests had similar ease of use. In conclusion, two pLDH tests performed well in diagnosing P. falciparum malaria, and all pLDH tests became negative after treatment more quickly than the HRP2. Therefore the rapid test of choice for use with artemisinin-combination therapies in this area would be one of these new pLDH tests.
- Assessment of two malaria rapid diagnostic tests in children under five years of age, with follow-up of false-positive pLDH test results, in a hyperendemic falciparum malaria area, Sierra Leone.
- Authors: Gerstl S, Dunkley S, Mukhtar A, De Smet M, Baker S, Maikere J
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 21
- Evaluation of a rapid diagnostic test (CareStart Malaria HRP-2/pLDH (Pf/pan) Combo Test) for the diagnosis of malaria in a reference setting.
- Authors: Maltha J, Gillet P, Bottieau E, Cnops L, van Esbroeck M, Jacobs J
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 18
- Evaluation of the Palutop+4 malaria rapid diagnostic test in a non-endemic setting.
- Authors: van Dijk DP, Gillet P, Vlieghe E, Cnops L, van Esbroeck M, Jacobs J
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 12
- Plasmodium lactate dehydrogenase assay to detect malarial parasites.
- Authors: Malik S, Khan S, Das A, Samantaray JC
- Issue date: 2004 Sep-Oct
- Evaluation of the rapid diagnostic test CareStart pLDH Malaria (Pf-pLDH/pan-pLDH) for the diagnosis of malaria in a reference setting.
- Authors: Heutmekers M, Gillet P, Maltha J, Scheirlinck A, Cnops L, Bottieau E, Van Esbroeck M, Jacobs J
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 18