Characterization of the Chromosomal Aminoglycoside 2'-N-Acetyltransferase Gene from Mycobacterium Fortuitum.
AffiliationDepartamento de Microbiología, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Zaragoza, Spain. Jose.Ainsa@msf.unizar.es
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA novel gene encoding an aminoglycoside 2'-N-acetyltransferase (AAC) was cloned from Mycobacterium fortuitum. DNA sequencing results identified an open reading frame that we have called aac(2')-Ib encoding a putative protein with a predicted molecular mass of 24,800 Da. The deduced AAC(2')-Ib protein showed homology to the AAC(2')-Ia from Providencia stuartii. This is the second member of a subfamily of AAC(2')-I enzymes to be identified. No homology was found with other acetyltransferases, including all of the AAC(3) and AAC(6') proteins. The aac(2')-Ib gene cloned in a mycobacterial plasmid and introduced in Mycobacterium smegmatis conferred resistance to gentamicin, tobramycin, dibekacin, netilmicin, and 6'-N-ethylnetilmicin. DNA hybridization with an intragenic probe of aac(2')-Ib showed that this gene was present in all 34 strains of M. fortuitum tested. The universal presence of the aac(2')-Ib gene in M. fortuitum was not correlated with any aminoglycoside resistance phenotype, suggesting that this gene may play a role in the secondary metabolism of the bacterium.
- Aminoglycoside 2'-N-acetyltransferase genes are universally present in mycobacteria: characterization of the aac(2')-Ic gene from Mycobacterium tuberculosis and the aac(2')-Id gene from Mycobacterium smegmatis.
- Authors: Aínsa JA, Pérez E, Pelicic V, Berthet FX, Gicquel B, Martín C
- Issue date: 1997 Apr
- Cloning and characterization of a 3-N-aminoglycoside acetyltransferase gene, aac(3)-Ib, from Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Authors: Schwocho LR, Schaffner CP, Miller GH, Hare RS, Shaw KJ
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Characterization and transcriptional regulation of the 2'-N-acetyltransferase gene from Providencia stuartii.
- Authors: Rather PN, Orosz E, Shaw KJ, Hare R, Miller G
- Issue date: 1993 Oct
- Characterization of the aac(6')-Ib gene encoding an aminoglycoside 6'-N-acetyltransferase in Pseudomonas aeruginosa BM2656.
- Authors: Galimand M, Lambert T, Gerbaud G, Courvalin P
- Issue date: 1993 Jul
- Characterization of the chromosomal aac(6')-Ii gene specific for Enterococcus faecium.
- Authors: Costa Y, Galimand M, Leclercq R, Duval J, Courvalin P
- Issue date: 1993 Sep