Characterization of the Chromosomal Aminoglycoside 2'-N-Acetyltransferase Gene from Mycobacterium Fortuitum.
AffiliationDepartamento de Microbiología, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Zaragoza, Spain. Jose.Ainsa@msf.unizar.es
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA novel gene encoding an aminoglycoside 2'-N-acetyltransferase (AAC) was cloned from Mycobacterium fortuitum. DNA sequencing results identified an open reading frame that we have called aac(2')-Ib encoding a putative protein with a predicted molecular mass of 24,800 Da. The deduced AAC(2')-Ib protein showed homology to the AAC(2')-Ia from Providencia stuartii. This is the second member of a subfamily of AAC(2')-I enzymes to be identified. No homology was found with other acetyltransferases, including all of the AAC(3) and AAC(6') proteins. The aac(2')-Ib gene cloned in a mycobacterial plasmid and introduced in Mycobacterium smegmatis conferred resistance to gentamicin, tobramycin, dibekacin, netilmicin, and 6'-N-ethylnetilmicin. DNA hybridization with an intragenic probe of aac(2')-Ib showed that this gene was present in all 34 strains of M. fortuitum tested. The universal presence of the aac(2')-Ib gene in M. fortuitum was not correlated with any aminoglycoside resistance phenotype, suggesting that this gene may play a role in the secondary metabolism of the bacterium.
- Aminoglycoside 2'-N-acetyltransferase genes are universally present in mycobacteria: characterization of the aac(2')-Ic gene from Mycobacterium tuberculosis and the aac(2')-Id gene from Mycobacterium smegmatis.
- Authors: Aínsa JA, Pérez E, Pelicic V, Berthet FX, Gicquel B, Martín C
- Issue date: 1997 Apr
- Cloning and characterization of an aminoglycoside 6'-N-acetyltransferase gene from Citrobacter freundii which confers an altered resistance profile.
- Authors: Wu HY, Miller GH, Blanco MG, Hare RS, Shaw KJ
- Issue date: 1997 Nov
- Role of the acetyltransferase AAC(6')-Iz modifying enzyme in aminoglycoside resistance in Stenotrophomonas maltophilia.
- Authors: Li XZ, Zhang L, McKay GA, Poole K
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- Functional annotation of putative aminoglycoside antibiotic modifying proteins in Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv.
- Authors: Draker KA, Boehr DD, Elowe NH, Noga TJ, Wright GD
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- New aminoglycoside acetyltransferase gene, aac(3)-Id, in a class 1 integron from a multiresistant strain of Vibrio fluvialis isolated from an infant aged 6 months.
- Authors: Ahmed AM, Nakagawa T, Arakawa E, Ramamurthy T, Shinoda S, Shimamoto T
- Issue date: 2004 Jun