Impact of a mass vaccination campaign against a meningitis epidemic in a refugee camp.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières Belgium, Brussels, Belgium.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSerogroup A meningococcus epidemics occurred in refugee populations in Zaire in August 1994. The paper analyses the public health impact of a mass vaccination campaign implemented in a large refugee camp. We compared meningitis incidence rates from 2 similar camps. In Kibumba camp, vaccination was implemented early in the course of the epidemic whilst in the control camp (Katale), vaccination was delayed. At a threshold of 15 cases per 100 000 population per week an immunization campaign was implemented. Attack rates were 94 and 134 per 100,000 in Kibumba and Katale respectively over 2 months. In Kibumba, one week after crossing the threshold, 121,588 doses of vaccine were administered covering 76% of all refugees. Vaccination may have prevented 68 cases (30% of the expected cases). Despite its rapid institution and the high coverage achieved, the vaccination campaign had a limited impact on morbidity due to meningitis. In the early phase in refugee camps, the relative priorities of meningitis vaccination and case management need to be better defined.
- Management of an outbreak of meningococcal meningitis in a Sudanese refugee camp in Northern Uganda.
- Authors: Santaniello-Newton A, Hunter PR
- Issue date: 2000 Feb
- [An epidemic of meningococcal meningitis in the region of Savanes in Togo in 1997: research and control strategies].
- Authors: Aplogan A, Batchassi E, Yakoua Y, Croisier A, Aleki A, Schlumberger M, Molina S, Sidatt M, Kaninda AV
- Issue date: 1997 Nov-Dec
- Surveillance and control of meningococcal meningitis epidemics in refugee populations.
- Authors: Moore PS, Toole MJ, Nieburg P, Waldman RJ, Broome CV
- Issue date: 1990
- [Chronical of a declared meningococcal meningitis epidemic (Goma, Zaire, August 1994)].
- Authors: Niel L, Lamarque D, Coué JC, Soarès JL, Milleliri JM, Boutin JP, Mérouze F, Rey JL
- Issue date: 1997
- Meningococcal meningitis in patients with falciparum malaria.
- Authors: Wolday D, Kibreab T, Bukenya D, Hodes R
- Issue date: 1996 Oct