Organisation of Health Care During an Outbreak of Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever in the Democratic Republic of Congo, 1999.
Mustin, J P
Olinda, L A
Muyembe-Tamfum, J J
AffiliationMédecins sans Frontières, Dupréstraat 94, B-1090 Brussel, Belgium. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
JournalThe Journal of Infection
AbstractOrganising health care was one of the tasks of the International Scientific and Technical Committee during the 1998-1999 outbreak in Durba/Watsa, in the north-eastern province (Province Orientale), Democratic Republic of Congo. With the logistical support of Médecins sans Frontières (MSF), two isolation units were created: one at the Durba Reference Health Centre and the other at the Okimo Hospital in Watsa. Between May 6th, the day the isolation unit was installed and May 19th, 15 patients were admitted to the Durba Health Centre. In only four of them were the diagnosis of Marburg haemorrhagic fever (MHF) confirmed by laboratory examination. Protective equipment was distributed to health care workers and family members caring for patients. Information about MHF, modes of transmission and the use of barrier nursing techniques was provided to health care workers and sterilisation procedures were reviewed. In contrast to Ebola outbreaks, there was little panic among health care workers and the general public in Durba and all health services remained operational.
- Use of protective gear and the occurrence of occupational Marburg hemorrhagic fever in health workers from Watsa health zone, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Authors: Borchert M, Mulangu S, Lefevre P, Tshomba A, Libande ML, Kulidri A, Muyembe-Tamfum JJ, Van der Stuyft P
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 15
- Organization of patient care during the Ebola hemorrhagic fever epidemic in Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 1995.
- Authors: Guimard Y, Bwaka MA, Colebunders R, Calain P, Massamba M, De Roo A, Mupapa KD, Kibadi K, Kuvula KJ, Ndaberey DE, Katwiki KR, Mapanda BB, Nkuku OB, Fleerackers Y, Van den Enden E, Kipasa MA
- Issue date: 1999 Feb
- Marburg hemorrhagic fever in Durba and Watsa, Democratic Republic of the Congo: clinical documentation, features of illness, and treatment.
- Authors: Colebunders R, Tshomba A, Van Kerkhove MD, Bausch DG, Campbell P, Libande M, Pirard P, Tshioko F, Mardel S, Mulangu S, Sleurs H, Rollin PE, Muyembe-Tamfum JJ, Jeffs B, Borchert M, International Scientific and Technical Committee "DRC Watsa/Durba 1999 Marburg Outbreak Investigation Group".
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 15
- [Democratic Republic of the Congo: between civil war and the Marburg virus. International Committee of Technical and Scientific Coordination of the Durba Epidemic].
- Authors: Bertherat E, Talarmin A, Zeller H
- Issue date: 1999
- Short communication: a cluster of Marburg virus disease involving an infant.
- Authors: Borchert M, Muyembe-Tamfum JJ, Colebunders R, Libande M, Sabue M, Van Der Stuyft P
- Issue date: 2002 Oct