Does Antiretroviral Treatment Reduce Case Fatality Among HIV-Positive Patients with Tuberculosis in Malawi?
AffiliationMedical Department (Operational Research), Médecins sans Frontières, Brussels Operational Centre, Luxembourg. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSETTING: Thyolo district, Malawi. OBJECTIVES: To report on 1) case fatality among human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) positive tuberculosis (TB) patients while on anti-tuberculosis treatment and 2) whether antiretroviral treatment (ART) initiated during the continuation phase of TB treatment reduces case fatality. DESIGN: Retrospective cohort analysis. METHODS: Comparative analysis of treatment outcomes for TB patients registered between January and December 2004. RESULTS: Of 983 newly registered TB patients receiving diagnostic HIV testing, 658 (67%) were HIV-positive. A total of 132 (20%) patients died during the 8-month course of anti-tuberculosis treatment, of whom 82 (62%) died within the first 2 months of treatment when ART was not provided (cumulative incidence 3.0, 95%CI 2.5-3.6 per 100 person-years). A total of 576 TB patients started the continuation phase of anti-tuberculosis treatment, 180 (31%) of whom were started on ART. The case-fatality rate per 100 person-years was not significantly different for patients on ART (1.0, 95%CI 0.6-1.7) and those without ART (1.2, 95%CI 0.9-1.7, adjusted hazard ratio 0.86, 95%CI 0.4-1.6, P = 0.6) CONCLUSIONS: ART provided in the continuation phase of TB treatment does not have a significant impact on reducing case fatality. Reasons for this and possible measures to reduce high case fatality in the initial phase of TB treatment are discussed.
- Can we get more HIV-positive tuberculosis patients on antiretroviral treatment in a rural district of Malawi?
- Authors: Zachariah R, Teck R, Ascurra O, Gomani P, Manzi M, Humblet P, Nunn P, Salaniponi FM, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Reasons for accepting or refusing HIV services among tuberculosis patients at a TB-HIV integration clinic in Malawi.
- Authors: Kumwenda M, Tom S, Chan AK, Mwinjiwa E, Sodhi S, Joshua M, van Lettow M
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Impact of ART on TB case fatality stratified by CD4 count for HIV-positive TB patients in Cape Town, South Africa (2009-2011).
- Authors: Kaplan R, Caldwell J, Middelkoop K, Bekker LG, Wood R
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 15
- The impact of HIV and ART on recurrent tuberculosis in a sub-Saharan setting.
- Authors: Houben RM, Glynn JR, Mboma S, Mzemba T, Mwaungulu NJ, Mwaungulu L, Mwenibabu M, Mpunga J, French N, Crampin AC
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 13
- Cotrimoxazole prophylaxis reduces mortality in human immunodeficiency virus-positive tuberculosis patients in Karonga District, Malawi.
- Authors: Mwaungulu FB, Floyd S, Crampin AC, Kasimba S, Malema S, Kanyongoloka H, Harries AD, Glynn JR, Fine PE
- Issue date: 2004 May