10-year assessment of treatment outcome among Cambodian refugees with sputum smear-positive tuberculosis in Khao-I-Dang, Thailand.
AffiliationMédecins sans Frontières Tuberculosis Programme, Khao-I-Dang, Prachinburi, Thailand.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalTubercle and Lung Disease
AbstractTuberculosis control among displaced persons is fraught with difficulties to ensure adherence of patients to treatment for a prolonged period of time. In the Khao-I-Dang camp for Cambodian refugees an approach with daily, directly observed treatment throughout the course of 6 months duration was chosen to address the problem. Of a total 929 patients with sputum smear-positive tuberculosis who were enrolled from 1981 to 1990, 5.0% died, 75.5% completed treatment and were bacteriologically cured with a day-to-day adherence of more than 98%, none failed bacteriologically, 19.2% were transferred to another camp where continuation of treatment was guaranteed, and only 0.4% absconded from treatment. These data suggest that the approach to tuberculosis control in this refugee camp was very effective in cutting the chain of transmission of tuberculosis in a highly mobile population and in reducing substantially unnecessary morbidity and mortality.
- [Field experiences with the 6-month Singapore therapy in the treatment of open lung tuberculosis in Cambodian refugees].
- Authors: Rieder H, Shang H, Medici TC
- Issue date: 1983 Jan 22
- Sputum smear conversion during directly observed treatment for tuberculosis.
- Authors: Rieder HL
- Issue date: 1996 Apr
- Treatment outcome among Rwandan and Burundian refugees with sputum smear-positive tuberculosis in Ngara, Tanzania.
- Authors: Rutta E, Kipingili R, Lukonge H, Assefa S, Mitsilale E, Rwechungura S
- Issue date: 2001 Jul
- A successful supervised outpatient short-course tuberculosis treatment program in an open refugee camp on the Thai-Cambodian border.
- Authors: Miles SH, Maat RB
- Issue date: 1984 Nov
- [Manifestation of extrapulmonary tuberculosis in Cambodian refugees in Thailand].
- Authors: Rieder H
- Issue date: 1983 Oct