AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières, Geneva, Switzerland. email@example.com.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalGlobalization and Health
AbstractABSTRACT: The past decade has seen remarkable progress in increasing access to antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings. Early concerns about the cost and complexity of treatment were overcome thanks to the efforts of a global coalition of health providers, activists, academics, and people living with HIV/AIDS, who argued that every effort must be made to ensure access to essential care when millions of lives depended on it. The high cost of treatment was reduced through advocacy to promote access to generic drugs; care provision was simplified through a public health approach to treatment provision; the lack of human resources was overcome through task-shifting to support the provision of care by non-physicians; and access was expanded through the development of models of care that could work at the primary care level. The challenge for the next decade is to further increase access to treatment and support sustained care for those on treatment, while at the same time ensuring that the package of care is continuously improved such that all patients can benefit from the latest improvements in drug development, clinical science, and public health.
- A survey of the syntheses of active pharmaceutical ingredients for antiretroviral drug combinations critical to access in emerging nations.
- Authors: Pinheiro Edos S, Antunes OA, Fortunak JM
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Driving a decade of change: HIV/AIDS, patents and access to medicines for all.
- Authors: Hoen E', Berger J, Calmy A, Moon S
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 27
- Access to antiretroviral treatment in developing countries: Which financing strategies are possible?
- Authors: Beaulière A, Le Maux A, Trehin C, Perez F
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Benefits of task-shifting HIV care to nurses in terms of health-related quality of life in patients initiating antiretroviral therapy in rural district hospitals in Cameroon [Stratall Agence Nationale de Recherche sur le SIDA (ANRS) 12110/Ensemble pour une Solidarité Thérapeutique Hospitalière en Réseau (ESTHER) substudy].
- Authors: Suzan-Monti M, Blanche J, Boyer S, Kouanfack C, Delaporte E, Bonono RC, Carrieri PM, Protopopescu C, Laurent C, Spire B, Stratall ANRS 12110/ESTHER Study Group.
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Women and AIDS in south and South-East Asia: the challenge and the response.
- Authors: Mboi N
- Issue date: 1996