Loss to follow up from isoniazid preventive therapy among adults attending HIV voluntary counseling and testing sites in Uganda.
AffiliationMakerere University School of Public Health P.O. Box 7072 Kampala Uganda; AIDS Information Centre headquarters, P.O. Box 10446 Kampala, Uganda.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAmong HIV-infected adults attending non-governmental organization voluntary counseling and testing (VCT) sites in Uganda that provide a nine-month course of isoniazid preventive treatment (IPT), we report on loss to follow-up (LTFU) and its associated risk factors. The design was a retrospective cohort study of program data spanning a three year period (2006-2008). A total of 586 IPT patients were enrolled of whom 335 (57.1%) were females with a mean age of 34 years. Of those starting IPT, 341 (58.1%) were lost to follow-up, 197 (33.6%) completed IPT, 29 (4.9%) were discontinued and 19 (3.2%) died. The return rates at one, three, five and seven months were 78.0% (457), 62.1% (364), 52.9% (310) and 33.6% (197) respectively. Being less than 30 years of age, widowed, separated, or divorced were found to be associated with a higher risk of loss to follow-up. Sudden improvement in retention on IPT was observed between the years 2006 and 2007, although causes of the improvement are poorly understood hence the need for more research. At non-governmental VCT sites in Uganda, six out of ten individuals enrolled on IPT are lost to follow-up and efforts to reduce this attrition including systems strengthening might play a critical role in the success of IPT programs.
- Preventive chemotherapy for HIV-associated tuberculosis in Uganda: an operational assessment at a voluntary counselling and testing centre.
- Authors: Aisu T, Raviglione MC, van Praag E, Eriki P, Narain JP, Barugahare L, Tembo G, McFarland D, Engwau FA
- Issue date: 1995 Mar
- Cost-effectiveness of including tuberculin skin testing in an IPT program for HIV-infected persons in Uganda.
- Authors: Shrestha RK, Mugisha B, Bunnell R, Mermin J, Hitimana-Lukanika C, Odeke R, Madra P, Adatu F, Blandford JM
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- A prospective study of the risk of tuberculosis among HIV-infected patients.
- Authors: Guelar A, Gatell JM, Verdejo J, Podzamczer D, Lozano L, Aznar E, Miró JM, Mallolas J, Zamora L, González J
- Issue date: 1993 Oct
- Completion of isoniazid preventive therapy among HIV-infected patients in Tanzania.
- Authors: Munseri PJ, Talbot EA, Mtei L, Fordham von Reyn C
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Tuberculosis case finding and preventive therapy in an HIV voluntary counseling and testing center in Uganda.
- Authors: Mugisha B, Bock N, Mermin J, Odeke RM, Miller B, Adatu-Engwau F, Granich R, Bunnell R
- Issue date: 2006 Jul