Population Differences in Death Rates in HIV-Positive Patients with Tuberculosis.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières, Geneva, Switzerland. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSETTING: Randomised controlled clinical trial of Mycobacterium vaccae vaccination as an adjunct to anti-tuberculosis treatment in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) positive patients with smear-positive tuberculosis (TB) in Lusaka, Zambia, and Karonga, Malawi. OBJECTIVE: To explain the difference in mortality between the two trial sites and to identify risk factors for death among HIV-positive patients with TB. DESIGN: Information on demographic, clinical, laboratory and radiographic characteristics was collected. Patients in Lusaka (667) and in Karonga (84) were followed up for an average of 1.56 years. Cox proportional hazard analyses were used to assess differences in survival between the two sites and to determine risk factors associated with mortality during and after anti-tuberculosis treatment. RESULTS: The case fatality rate was 14.7% in Lusaka and 21.4% in Karonga. The hazard ratio for death comparing Karonga to Lusaka was 1.47 (95% confidence interval [CI] 0.9-2.4) during treatment and 1.76 (95%CI 1.0-3.0) after treatment. This difference could be almost entirely explained by age and more advanced HIV disease among patients in Karonga. CONCLUSION: It is important to understand the reasons for population differences in mortality among patients with TB and HIV and to maximise efforts to reduce mortality.
- Mycobacterium vaccae (SRL172) immunotherapy as an adjunct to standard antituberculosis treatment in HIV-infected adults with pulmonary tuberculosis: a randomised placebo-controlled trial.
- Authors: Mwinga A, Nunn A, Ngwira B, Chintu C, Warndorff D, Fine P, Darbyshire J, Zumla A, LUSKAR collaboration.
- Issue date: 2002 Oct 5
- The impact of HIV on infectiousness of pulmonary tuberculosis: a community study in Zambia.
- Authors: Elliott AM, Hayes RJ, Halwiindi B, Luo N, Tembo G, Pobee JO, Nunn PP, McAdam KP
- Issue date: 1993 Jul
- Measurement and determinants of tuberculosis outcome in Karonga District, Malawi.
- Authors: Glynn JR, Warndorff DK, Fine PE, Munthali MM, Sichone W, Pönnighaus JM
- Issue date: 1998
- What has Karonga taught us? Tuberculosis studied over three decades.
- Authors: Crampin AC, Glynn JR, Fine PE
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- The impact of human immunodeficiency virus on mortality of patients treated for tuberculosis in a cohort study in Zambia.
- Authors: Elliott AM, Halwiindi B, Hayes RJ, Luo N, Mwinga AG, Tembo G, Machiels L, Steenbergen G, Pobee JO, Nunn P
- Issue date: 1995 Jan-Feb