Efficacy of a Therapeutic Feeding Centre Evaluated During Hospitalization and a Follow-up Period, Tahoua, Niger, 1987-1988.
AffiliationEpicentre, Paris, France.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalAnnals of Tropical Paediatrics
AbstractBetween 1 February 1987 and 31 May 1988 an evaluation of a nutritional rehabilitation centre in Tahoua, Niger was conducted. Among the 381 children admitted to the centre, 61 (16%) had kwashiorkor and 347 (91.3%) were aged between 6 and 29 months. Recovery and death rates were 46.2% and 14.4%, respectively. The median duration of stay until recovery was 21 days. Sixty-two per cent of deaths occurred during the 1st week of hospitalization. Three risk factors for death were identified by the study: patients with kwashiorkor with a weight/height (W/H) less than -3 SD, those with marasmus with a W/H less than -5 SD, and those dehydrated with marasmus. Among children included in the follow-up study after leaving the centre, the risk of dying during the follow-up period among children who absconded was 7.1 times higher than the risk observed among children who recovered. Among the children who recovered, no relapse was observed 3-18 months after they left the centre. This investigation indicates the importance of intensive therapeutic feeding centres in areas with a high prevalence of malnutrition.
- A model to standardise mortality of severely malnourished children using nutritional status on admission to therapeutic feeding centres.
- Authors: Prudhon C, Golden MH, Briend A, Mary JY
- Issue date: 1997 Nov
- Height, weight, and head circumference in survivors of marasmus and kwashiorkor.
- Authors: Branko Z
- Issue date: 1979 Aug
- Could nutritional rehabilitation at home complement or replace centre-based therapeutic feeding programmes for severe malnutrition?
- Authors: Gaboulaud V, Dan-Bouzoua N, Brasher C, Fedida G, Gergonne B, Brown V
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Outpatient care for severely malnourished children in emergency relief programmes: a retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Collins S, Sadler K
- Issue date: 2002 Dec 7
- Influence of nutritional status on child mortality in rural Zaire.
- Authors: Van Den Broeck J, Eeckels R, Vuylsteke J
- Issue date: 1993 Jun 12