Konzo Outbreak, in the South-West of the Democratic Republic of Congo, 1996.
AffiliationEpicentre, 8 rue St Sabin, Paris, France. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of Tropical Pediatrics
AbstractIn August 1996, cases of poliomyelitis were reported in Kahemba zone, in the south-west of the Democratic Republic (DR) of Congo. The diagnosis was reviewed and charged to Konzo, a spastic paraparesis attributed to food cyanide intoxication. In order to describe the phenomena, a community-based survey took place and found 237 people affected. The highest prevalence was found in the most isolated part of the zone. The patients suffered from an isolated non-progressive spastic paraparesis of abrupt onset. Children and women were the most affected groups, especially women after childbirth. Most of the patients developed the disease after 1990 with 101 cases in 1996. Cassava processing was the same over time and in all the villages. The study did not fully explain the increased number of cases in 1996 but suggested that complementary investigations regarding micronutrient intakes, especially vitamin A, would be necessary.
PublisherPublished by Oxford University Press
DescriptionTo access this article, click "Additional LInks"
- Appearance of konzo in South-Kivu, a wartorn area in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Authors: Chabwine JN, Masheka C, Balol'ebwami Z, Maheshe B, Balegamire S, Rutega B, Wa Lola M, Mutendela K, Bonnet MJ, Shangalume O, Balegamire JM, Nemery B
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Geographical and seasonal association between linamarin and cyanide exposure from cassava and the upper motor neurone disease konzo in former Zaire.
- Authors: Banea-Mayambu JP, Tylleskär T, Gitebo N, Matadi N, Gebre-Medhin M, Rosling H
- Issue date: 1997 Dec
- [Coexistence of mass hysteria, konzo and HTLV-1 virus in the Democratic Republic of the Congo].
- Authors: Tshala K, Nunga M, Pukuta S, Mutombo L, Beya E, Tshoko K, Mampunza M
- Issue date: 1999
- Dietary determinants of a non-progressive spastic paraparesis (Konzo): a case-referent study in a high incidence area of Zaire.
- Authors: Tylleskär T, Banea M, Bikangi N, Nahimana G, Persson LA, Rosling H
- Issue date: 1995 Oct
- Cassava cyanogens and konzo, an upper motoneuron disease found in Africa.
- Authors: Tylleskär T, Banea M, Bikangi N, Cooke RD, Poulter NH, Rosling H
- Issue date: 1992 Jan 25