Challenges of controlling sleeping sickness in areas of violent conflict: experience in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières, Rue de Lausanne 78, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland. email@example.com.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalConflict and Health
AbstractHuman African trypanosomiasis (HAT), or sleeping sickness, is a fatal neglected tropical disease if left untreated. HAT primarily affects people living in rural sub-Saharan Africa, often in regions afflicted by violent conflict. Screening and treatment of HAT is complex and resource-intensive, and especially difficult in insecure, resource-constrained settings. The country with the highest endemicity of HAT is the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), which has a number of foci of high disease prevalence. We present here the challenges of carrying out HAT control programmes in general and in a conflict-affected region of DRC. We discuss the difficulties of measuring disease burden, medical care complexities, waning international support, and research and development barriers for HAT.
- Human African trypanosomiasis in the Democratic Republic of the Congo: disease distribution and risk.
- Authors: Lumbala C, Simarro PP, Cecchi G, Paone M, Franco JR, Kande Betu Ku Mesu V, Makabuza J, Diarra A, Chansy S, Priotto G, Mattioli RC, Jannin JG
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 6
- Integration of diagnosis and treatment of sleeping sickness in primary healthcare facilities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Authors: Mitashi P, Hasker E, Mbo F, Van Geertruyden JP, Kaswa M, Lumbala C, Boelaert M, Lutumba P
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Factors influencing passive surveillance for T. b. rhodesiense human african trypanosomiasis in Uganda.
- Authors: Acup C, Bardosh KL, Picozzi K, Waiswa C, Welburn SC
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Mental health services for children exposed to armed conflict: Médecins Sans Frontières' experience in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq and the occupied Palestinian territory.
- Authors: Lokuge K, Shah T, Pintaldi G, Thurber K, Martínez-Viciana C, Cristobal M, Palacios L, Dear K, Banks E
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- [Epidemiological, clinical and sociodemographic characteristics of human African trypanosomiasis (HAT) in and around Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo].
- Authors: Tshimungu K, Okenge LN, Mukeba JN, Kande VB, De Mol P
- Issue date: 2009 Apr-Jun