High prevalence of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis, Swaziland, 2009-2010
Tefera, Z D
de la Tour, R
AffiliationEpicentre, Paris, France; National Tuberculosis Control Programme, Mbabane, Swaziland; National Reference Center for Mycobacteria, Borstel, Germany; Médecins Sans Frontières, Geneva, Switzerland
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEmerging Infectious Diseases
AbstractIn Africa, although emergence of multidrug-resistant (MDR) tuberculosis (TB) represents a serious threat in countries severely affected by the HIV epidemic, most countries lack drug-resistant TB data. This finding was particularly true in the Kingdom of Swaziland, which has the world's highest HIV and TB prevalences. Therefore, we conducted a national survey in 2009-2010 to measure prevalence of drug-resistant TB. Of 988 patients screened, 420 new case-patients and 420 previously treated case-patients met the study criteria. Among culture-positive patients, 15.3% new case-patients and 49.5% previously treated case-patients harbored drug-resistant strains. MDR TB prevalence was 7.7% and 33.8% among new case-patients and previously treated case-patients, respectively. HIV infection and past TB treatment were independently associated with MDR TB. The findings assert the need for wide-scale intervention in resource-limited contexts such as Swaziland, where diagnostic and treatment facilities and health personnel are lacking.
PublisherCenter for Disease Control
- Epidemic levels of drug resistant tuberculosis (MDR and XDR-TB) in a high HIV prevalence setting in Khayelitsha, South Africa.
- Authors: Cox HS, McDermid C, Azevedo V, Muller O, Coetzee D, Simpson J, Barnard M, Coetzee G, van Cutsem G, Goemaere E
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 15
- Prevalence of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis among newly diagnosed cases of sputum-positive pulmonary tuberculosis.
- Authors: Sharma SK, Kaushik G, Jha B, George N, Arora SK, Gupta D, Singh U, Hanif M, Vashisht RP
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Characterizing Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from Karachi, Pakistan: drug resistance and genotypes.
- Authors: Ayaz A, Hasan Z, Jafri S, Inayat R, Mangi R, Channa AA, Malik FR, Ali A, Rafiq Y, Hasan R
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Prevalence of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis among category II pulmonary tuberculosis patients.
- Authors: Sharma SK, Kumar S, Saha PK, George N, Arora SK, Gupta D, Singh U, Hanif M, Vashisht RP
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Surveillance of drug-resistant tuberculosis in the state of Gujarat, India.
- Authors: Ramachandran R, Nalini S, Chandrasekar V, Dave PV, Sanghvi AS, Wares F, Paramasivan CN, Narayanan PR, Sahu S, Parmar M, Chadha S, Dewan P, Chauhan LS
- Issue date: 2009 Sep