Epidemic Visceral Leishmaniasis in Sudan: A Randomized Trial of Aminosidine Plus Sodium Stibogluconate Versus Sodium Stibogluconate Alone.
AffiliationMedecins Sans Frontieres-Holland, Amsterdam.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn a comparative trial of treatment in southern Sudan, visceral leishmaniasis was diagnosed by the following symptoms: fever for > 1 month, splenomegaly, and antileishmanial direct agglutination test (DAT) titer of > or = 1:25,600. Patients (200) were randomized to receive sodium stibogluconate (Sbv) at 20 mg/kg/day for 30 days (groups S, n = 99) or Sbv at 20 mg/kg/day plus aminosidine at 15 mg/kg/day for 17 days (group AS, n = 101). Of 192 patients who had spleens or lymph nodes aspirated at entry, 134 (70%) were positive for parasites. During treatment, 7% in group S and 4% in group AS died. All 184 patients who completed treatment were clinically cured. At days 15-17, microscopy of aspirates showed that 57 (95%) of 60 in group AS were negative for parasites compared with 47 (81%) of 58 in group S (P = .018). At day 30, 57 (93.4%) of 61 group S aspirates were negative.
- Treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in Kenya by aminosidine alone or combined with sodium stibogluconate.
- Authors: Chunge CN, Owate J, Pamba HO, Donno L
- Issue date: 1990 Mar-Apr
- Randomised controlled trial of aminosidine (paromomycin) v sodium stibogluconate for treating visceral leishmaniasis in North Bihar, India.
- Authors: Jha TK, Olliaro P, Thakur CP, Kanyok TP, Singhania BL, Singh IJ, Singh NK, Akhoury S, Jha S
- Issue date: 1998 Apr 18
- Sodium stibogluconate and paromomycin for treating visceral leishmaniasis under routine conditions in eastern Sudan.
- Authors: Atia AM, Mumina A, Tayler-Smith K, Boulle P, Alcoba G, Elhag MS, Alnour M, Shah S, Chappuis F, van Griensven J, Zachariah R
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- A prospective randomized, comparative, open-label trial of the safety and efficacy of paromomycin (aminosidine) plus sodium stibogluconate versus sodium stibogluconate alone for the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis.
- Authors: Thakur CP, Kanyok TP, Pandey AK, Sinha GP, Zaniewski AE, Houlihan HH, Olliaro P
- Issue date: 2000 Jul-Aug
- Treatment of visceral leishmaniasis (kala-azar) with aminosidine (= paromomycin)-antimonial combinations, a pilot study in Bihar, India.
- Authors: Thakur CP, Olliaro P, Gothoskar S, Bhowmick S, Choudhury BK, Prasad S, Kumar M, Verma BB
- Issue date: 1992 Nov-Dec