Time to AIDS from 1992 to 1999 in HIV-1-Infected Subjects with Known Date of Infection.
AffiliationInstitut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale SC4, Faculté de Médecine, St. Antoine Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France; Epicentre, Paris, France.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo estimate the change in AIDS incubation time during three periods characterized by different availability of antiretroviral treatments, data from the French Hospital Database on HIV of 4702 HIV-1-positive subjects with a documented date of infection were analyzed. Times from seroconversion to AIDS were compared in three periods: period 1 from January 1992 to June 1995 (monotherapy); period 2 from July 1995 to June 1996 (dual therapy); and period 3 from July 1996 to June 1999 (triple therapy). Nonparametric survival analyses were performed to account for staggered entries in the database and during each period. From periods 1 to 3, antiretroviral treatments were initiated earlier after infection, more subjects were treated, and the nature of regimens changed (25.6% of subjects were treated with monotherapy in period 1, 34.6% were treated with dual therapy in period 2, and 53.4% were treated with triple therapy in period 3). Compared with period 1, the relative hazard (RH) of AIDS was 0.31 in period 3 (95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.24-0.39). When comparing period 3 with period 2, the RH of AIDS was 0.36 (CI: 0.29-0.45). Assuming a log normal distribution, the median time to AIDS was estimated as 8.0 years in period 1 (CI: 6.0-10.6), 9.8 years in period 2 (CI: 8.5, 11.2), and 20.0 years in period 3 (CI: 17.1-23.3). This lengthening in time to AIDS from 1992 to 1999 was particularly marked in the period after the introduction of triple therapy, including protease inhibitors.
- Effectiveness of potent antiretroviral therapy on time to AIDS and death in men with known HIV infection duration. Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study Investigators.
- Authors: Detels R, Muñoz A, McFarlane G, Kingsley LA, Margolick JB, Giorgi J, Schrager LK, Phair JP
- Issue date: 1998 Nov 4
- Reduction in mortality with availability of antiretroviral therapy for children with perinatal HIV-1 infection. Italian Register for HIV Infection in Children and the Italian National AIDS Registry.
- Authors: de Martino M, Tovo PA, Balducci M, Galli L, Gabiano C, Rezza G, Pezzotti P
- Issue date: 2000 Jul 12
- Survival improvement of AIDS-related progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy in the era of protease inhibitors. Clinical Epidemiology Group. French Hospital Database on HIV.
- Authors: Tassie JM, Gasnault J, Bentata M, Deloumeaux J, Boué F, Billaud E, Costagliola D
- Issue date: 1999 Oct 1
- Rates of disease progression by baseline CD4 cell count and viral load after initiating triple-drug therapy.
- Authors: Hogg RS, Yip B, Chan KJ, Wood E, Craib KJ, O'Shaughnessy MV, Montaner JS
- Issue date: 2001 Nov 28
- Combination antiretroviral therapy and recent declines in AIDS incidence and mortality.
- Authors: Vittinghoff E, Scheer S, O'Malley P, Colfax G, Holmberg SD, Buchbinder SP
- Issue date: 1999 Mar