A comparison of narrative exposure therapy, supportive counseling, and psychoeducation for treating posttraumatic stress disorder in an african refugee settlement.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Psychology, University of Konstanz, Konstanz, Germany. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLittle is known about the usefulness of psychotherapeutic approaches for traumatized refugees who continue to live in dangerous conditions. Narrative exposure therapy (NET) is a short-term approach based on cognitive-behavioral therapy and testimony therapy. The efficacy of narrative exposure therapy was evaluated in a randomized controlled trial. Sudanese refugees living in a Ugandan refugee settlement (N = 43) who were diagnosed as suffering from posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) either received 4 sessions of NET, 4 sessions of supportive counseling (SC), or psychoeducation (PE) completed in 1 session. One year after treatment, only 29% of the NET participants but 79% of the SC group and 80% of the PE group still fulfilled PTSD criteria. These results indicate that NET is a promising approach for the treatment of PTSD for refugees living in unsafe conditions.
- Treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder by trained lay counselors in an African refugee settlement: a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Neuner F, Onyut PL, Ertl V, Odenwald M, Schauer E, Elbert T
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Narrative exposure therapy versus interpersonal psychotherapy. A pilot randomized controlled trial with Rwandan genocide orphans.
- Authors: Schaal S, Elbert T, Neuner F
- Issue date: 2009
- Treating acute stress disorder and posttraumatic stress disorder with cognitive behavioral therapy or structured writing therapy: a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: van Emmerik AA, Kamphuis JH, Emmelkamp PM
- Issue date: 2008
- Narrative Exposure Therapy as a treatment for child war survivors with posttraumatic stress disorder: two case reports and a pilot study in an African refugee settlement.
- Authors: Onyut LP, Neuner F, Schauer E, Ertl V, Odenwald M, Schauer M, Elbert T
- Issue date: 2005 Feb 3
- Narrative exposure therapy for 7- to 16-year-olds: a randomized controlled trial with traumatized refugee children.
- Authors: Ruf M, Schauer M, Neuner F, Catani C, Schauer E, Elbert T
- Issue date: 2010 Aug