Treatment of Kala-azar in Southern Sudan Using a 17-day Regimen of Sodium Stibogluconate Combined with Paromomycin: A Retrospective Comparison with 30-day Sodium Stibogluconate Monotherapy.
AffiliationMédecins sans Frontières-Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMédecins sans Frontières-Holland has treated > 67,000 patients with kala-azar (KA) in southern Sudan since 1989. In 2002, we replaced the standard regimen of 30 days of daily sodium stibogluconate (SSG) with a 17-day regimen of daily SSG combined with paromomycin (PM). We analyzed data for 4,263 primary KA patients treated between 2002 and 2005 in southern Sudan to determine the relative efficacy of the combination therapy regimen (PM/SSG). The initial cure rate among patients treated with PM/SSG was 97.0% compared with 92.4% among patients treated with SSG monotherapy. Relative efficacy of PM/SSG compared with SSG increased over the study period: odds of death in the PM/SSG group were 44% lower (odds ratio [OR] = 0.56, 95% confidence interval [CI] = 0.37-0.84) in 2002, 78% lower (OR = 0.22, 95% CI = 0.10-0.50) in 2003, and 86% lower (OR = 0.14, 95% CI = 0.07-0.27) in 2004-2005. In remote field settings, 17 days of SSG combined with PM gives better survival and initial cure rates than 30 days of SSG monotherapy.
- Sodium stibogluconate and paromomycin for treating visceral leishmaniasis under routine conditions in eastern Sudan.
- Authors: Atia AM, Mumina A, Tayler-Smith K, Boulle P, Alcoba G, Elhag MS, Alnour M, Shah S, Chappuis F, van Griensven J, Zachariah R
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Visceral leishmaniasis relapse in Southern Sudan (1999-2007): a retrospective study of risk factors and trends.
- Authors: Gorski S, Collin SM, Ritmeijer K, Keus K, Gatluak F, Mueller M, Davidson RN
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 8
- Sodium stibogluconate (SSG) & paromomycin combination compared to SSG for visceral leishmaniasis in East Africa: a randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Musa A, Khalil E, Hailu A, Olobo J, Balasegaram M, Omollo R, Edwards T, Rashid J, Mbui J, Musa B, Abuzaid AA, Ahmed O, Fadlalla A, El-Hassan A, Mueller M, Mucee G, Njoroge S, Manduku V, Mutuma G, Apadet L, Lodenyo H, Mutea D, Kirigi G, Yifru S, Mengistu G, Hurissa Z, Hailu W, Weldegebreal T, Tafes H, Mekonnen Y, Makonnen E, Ndegwa S, Sagaki P, Kimutai R, Kesusu J, Owiti R, Ellis S, Wasunna M
- Issue date: 2012
- Immunochemotherapy of persistent post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis: a novel approach to treatment.
- Authors: Musa AM, Khalil EA, Mahgoub FA, Elgawi SH, Modabber F, Elkadaru AE, Aboud MH, Noazin S, Ghalib HW, El-Hassan AM, Leishmaniasis Research Group/Sudan.
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Safety and Effectiveness of Sodium Stibogluconate and Paromomycin Combination for the Treatment of Visceral Leishmaniasis in Eastern Africa: Results from a Pharmacovigilance Programme.
- Authors: Kimutai R, Musa AM, Njoroge S, Omollo R, Alves F, Hailu A, Khalil EA, Diro E, Soipei P, Musa B, Salman K, Ritmeijer K, Chappuis F, Rashid J, Mohammed R, Jameneh A, Makonnen E, Olobo J, Okello L, Sagaki P, Strub N, Ellis S, Alvar J, Balasegaram M, Alirol E, Wasunna M
- Issue date: 2017 Mar