AffiliationEpicentre, Kampala, Uganda.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEast African Medical Journal
AbstractWe analysed the chimio-sensitivity to antibiotics of endemic strains of Shigella isolated in Mbarara district, southwest Uganda. Twenty four strains were isolated, of which none was sensitive to cotrimoxazole and eight (33.4%, 95% CI [15.6-55.3]) to ampicillin, the two antibiotics recommended to treat dysentery during non epidemic periods in Uganda. Two isolates were resistant to nalidixic acid and none was resistant to the fluoroquinolones (Ciprofloxacin, Norfloxacin). It is concluded that the results of this survey could be used to facilitate the elaboration of a new treatment protocol to treat endemic dysentery cases in Uganda.
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of Shigella from a rural community in Bangladesh.
- Authors: Mamun KZ, Tabassum S, Hussain MA, Shears P
- Issue date: 1997 Sep
- Multiple drug resistant strains of Shigella isolated in Jos, central Nigeria.
- Authors: Egah DZ, Banwat EB, Audu ES, Allanana JA, Danung ML, Damen JG, Badung BP
- Issue date: 2003 Sep
- Drug resistance of Shigella strains isolated in Ankara, Turkey, 1993-1996.
- Authors: Aysev AD, Guriz H
- Issue date: 1998
- Antimicrobial susceptibilities of Shigella dysenteriae type 1 isolated in Zimbabwe--implications for the management of dysentery.
- Authors: Mason PR, Nathoo KJ, Wellington M, Mason E
- Issue date: 1995 Apr
- [Antibiotic resistance of Shigella strains isolated in Cádiz (author's transl)].
- Authors: García Martos P, Marín Casanova P, García Herruzo J, Fernández Gutiérrez del Alamo C
- Issue date: 1980 Dec 15