Clinical, Microbiological and Antibiotic Susceptibility Patterns of Diarrhoea in Korem, Ethiopia.
AffiliationMédecins sans Frontières, Paris, France.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo hundred patients with diarrhoea in a rehabilitation camp in Ethiopia were studied in October 1985 to determine the presence of pathogens in the stool and their susceptibility to antibiotics. A total of 42 (21.1%) patients had a positive culture with enterobacteriaceae, the isolation rate was 15.6% for Escherichia coli, 3.5% for Shigella spp. and 2.01% for Salmonella spp. In-vitro antibiotic resistance was frequent among the 42 isolates: 53% of E. coli strains were found to be resistant to ampicillin, 47% to chloramphenicol, 30% to co-trimoxazole and 67% to tetracycline. Of the seven Shigella, three were resistant to chloramphenicol and four to tetracycline. Multidrug resistance (two or more antibiotics) was observed in 52.3% of the 42 isolates. The protocols used for the screening of dysenteric patients for Shigella spp. or Salmonella spp. were found to be specific but poorly sensitive. The opposite was observed for amoebiasis and giardiasis. The responsibility of widespread use of common oral antibiotics is discussed as one of the major factors of antibiotic resistance occurrence at Korem.
- High rate of resistance to locally used antibiotics among enteric bacteria from children in Northern Ghana.
- Authors: Djie-Maletz A, Reither K, Danour S, Anyidoho L, Saad E, Danikuu F, Ziniel P, Weitzel T, Wagner J, Bienzle U, Stark K, Seidu-Korkor A, Mockenhaupt FP, Ignatius R
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Isolation and antibiotic susceptibility of Salmonella, Shigella, and Campylobacter from acute enteric infections in Egypt.
- Authors: Wasfy MO, Oyofo BA, David JC, Ismail TF, el-Gendy AM, Mohran ZS, Sultan Y, Peruski LF Jr
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Etiology and epidemiology of diarrhea in children in Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Authors: Vu Nguyen T, Le Van P, Le Huy C, Nguyen Gia K, Weintraub A
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Incidence of bacterial enteropathogens among hospitalized diarrhea patients from Orissa, India.
- Authors: Samal SK, Khuntia HK, Nanda PK, Satapathy CS, Nayak SR, Sarangi AK, Sahoo N, Pattnaik SK, Chhotray GP, Pal BB
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Shigella and Salmonella serogroups and their antibiotic susceptibility patterns in Ethiopia.
- Authors: Asrat D
- Issue date: 2008 Jul-Aug