Therapeutic Failure of Melarsoprol Among Patients Treated for Late Stage T.b. Gambiense Human African Trypanosomiasis in Uganda
AffiliationEpicentre, Kampala, Ouganda. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe failure rate of melarsoprol after treatment of late stage cases of Human African Trypanosomiasis (HAT) is usually under 7%, even though the drug has been used for such treatment over the past 50 years. We report a melarsoprol treatment failure rate of 26.9% among 428 patients treated in Northern Uganda. Whatever its origin, this observation, the first documented in a HAT focus, is alarming, particularly since no second line trypanocidal drug is actually available for the treatment of late stage HAT. We believe that the current worrisome situation of HAT in several African countries and the risk of emergence of other foci of resistance, argue in favour of a greater attention on the part of the scientific community and the pharmaceutical companies being paid to this problem.
- The phenomenon of treatment failures in Human African Trypanosomiasis.
- Authors: Brun R, Schumacher R, Schmid C, Kunz C, Burri C
- Issue date: 2001 Nov
- Effectiveness of a 10-day melarsoprol schedule for the treatment of late-stage human African trypanosomiasis: confirmation from a multinational study (IMPAMEL II).
- Authors: Schmid C, Richer M, Bilenge CM, Josenando T, Chappuis F, Manthelot CR, Nangouma A, Doua F, Asumu PN, Simarro PP, Burri C
- Issue date: 2005 Jun 1
- Melarsoprol refractory T. b. gambiense from Omugo, north-western Uganda.
- Authors: Matovu E, Enyaru JC, Legros D, Schmid C, Seebeck T, Kaminsky R
- Issue date: 2001 May
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of alternative treatments of African gambiense trypanosomiasis in Uganda.
- Authors: Politi C, Carrín G, Evans D, Kuzoe FA, Cattand PD
- Issue date: 1995 Jul-Aug
- Effect of melarsoprol treatment on circulating IL-10 and TNF-alpha levels in human African trypanosomiasis.
- Authors: Rhind SG, Sabiston BH, Shek PN, Buguet A, Muanga G, Stanghellini A, Dumas M, Radomski MW
- Issue date: 1997 May