Malaria surveillance among the displaced Karen population in Thailand April 1984 to February 1989, Mae Sot, Thailand.
AffiliationMedecins sans Frontieres, Paris, France.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRight from the arrival of the displaced Karen people in Thailand, Médecins sans Frontières (MSF) identified malaria as the top priority problem. A program of patient care based on the coupled laboratory/dispensary was set up in April 1984. Immediately a system of surveillance of morbidity and mortality from malaria was set up. This study consisted of analysing data gathered over a period of five years. During this time, the displaced population increased from 9,000 to 20,000. Analysis of the trends shows a hyperendemic situation with an annual incidence rate of 1,067 per thousand in 1984. This figure was 600 per thousand in 1988. 1,500 blood smears were checked each month and the positive predictive value of clinical suspicion was 45% on average. Plasmodium falciparum represented 80% of infections. The malaria case fatality ratio over the course of the last two years of surveillance was 0.3%. Five years observation show that the fight against malaria in this region can be based on the development of curative services and laboratories.
- [Malaria in the central health district of Dakar (Senegal). Entomological, parasitological and clinical data].
- Authors: Diallo S, Konate L, Ndir O, Dieng T, Dieng Y, Bah IB, Faye O, Gaye O
- Issue date: 2000 May-Jun
- Comparison of field and expert laboratory microscopy for active surveillance for asymptomatic Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax in western Thailand.
- Authors: Coleman RE, Maneechai N, Rachaphaew N, Kumpitak C, Miller RS, Soyseng V, Thimasarn K, Sattabongkot J
- Issue date: 2002 Aug
- The epidemiology of severe malaria in an area of low transmission in Thailand.
- Authors: Luxemburger C, Ricci F, Nosten F, Raimond D, Bathet S, White NJ
- Issue date: 1997 May-Jun
- The current situation of the anti-malaria programme in Thailand.
- Authors: Malikul S
- Issue date: 1988 Sep
- The Gambian National Impregnated Bed Net Programme: evaluation of effectiveness by means of case-control studies.
- Authors: D'Alessandro U, Olaleye B, Langerock P, Bennett S, Cham K, Cham B, Greenwood BM
- Issue date: 1997 Nov-Dec