Efficacy of amodiaquine in uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Nigeria in an area with high-level resistance to chloroquine and sulphadoxine/pyrimethamine.
AffiliationMedecins sans Frontières (MSF), Max Euweplein 40, 1001, EA, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFalciparum Malaria is hyperendemic in southern Nigeria and chloroquine resistance is an increasing problem. Therefore, the parasitological and haematological response to treatment with amodiaquine was studied in children under 5 years during a 14-day follow-up. Of 105 children who accomplished the study (out of 114 who were enrolled), 95.3% were parasite-negative on thick blood film on day 7, which decreased to 89.5% on day 14. The haemoglobin levels increased on average by 1.3% on day 14 (+/-1.9) and more pronounced in children with anaemia<10 g/dl on enrollment. The number of patients with adverse events (mainly pruritus and nausea) was few. This study shows that amodiaquine is effective, safe and affordable in an area with high resistance to chloroquine.
- Efficacy of chloroquine, amodiaquine and sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine for the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria: revisiting molecular markers in an area of emerging AQ and SP resistance in Mali.
- Authors: Tekete M, Djimde AA, Beavogui AH, Maiga H, Sagara I, Fofana B, Ouologuem D, Dama S, Kone A, Dembele D, Wele M, Dicko A, Doumbo OK
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 26
- Open randomized study of artesunate-amodiaquine vs. chloroquine-pyrimethamine-sulfadoxine for the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Nigerian children.
- Authors: Sowunmi A, Fehintola FA, Adedeji AA, Gbotosho GO, Tambo E, Fateye BA, Happi TC, Oduola AM
- Issue date: 2005 Nov
- [Evaluation of the therapeutic efficacy of amodiaquine versus chloroquine in the treatment of uncomplicated malaria in Abie, Côte-d'Ivoire].
- Authors: Adjetey TA, Affoumou GB, Loukou DD, Nebavi NG, Barro-Kiki P, Menan EI, Yavo W, Kone M
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- [Limits of the efficacy of chloroquine and sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine in Northern Abidjan (Cote d'Ivoire): Combined in vivo and in vitro studies].
- Authors: Djaman J, Abouanou S, Basco L, Koné M
- Issue date: 2004 Oct-Dec
- In vivo sensitivity of Plasmodium falciparum to chloroquine, amodiaquine and sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine in western Uganda.
- Authors: Kamugisha J, Kipp W, Burnham G
- Issue date: 1994