Prevalence, features and risk factors for malaria co-infections amongst visceral leishmaniasis patients from Amudat Hospital, Uganda.
Authorsvan den Bogaart, E
Berkhout, M M Z
Adams, E R
Mens, P F
Mbulamberi, D B
Schallig, H D F H
AffiliationDepartment of Biomedical Research, Royal Tropical Institute (KIT), Amsterdam, The Netherlands; Department of Medical Microbiology, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Kampala, Uganda; Ministry of Health, Kampala, Uganda; Médecins Sans Frontières, Geneva, Switzerland; Geneva University Hospitals and University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
AbstractDue to geographic overlap of malaria and visceral leishmaniasis (VL), co-infections may exist but have been poorly investigated. To describe prevalence, features and risk factors for VL-malaria co-infections, a case-control analysis was conducted on data collected at Amudat Hospital, Uganda (2000-2006) by Médecins sans Frontières. Cases were identified as patients with laboratory-confirmed VL and malaria at hospital admission or during hospitalization; controls were VL patients with negative malaria smears. A logistic regression analysis was performed to study the association between patients' characteristics and the occurrence of the co-infection.
PublisherPublic Library of Medicine (PLoS)
- Concomitant malaria among visceral leishmaniasis in-patients from Gedarif and Sennar States, Sudan: a retrospective case-control study.
- Authors: van den Bogaart E, Berkhout MM, Nour AB, Mens PF, Talha AB, Adams ER, Ahmed HB, Abdelrahman SH, Ritmeijer K, Nour BY, Schallig HD
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 11
- Risk factors for in-hospital mortality of visceral leishmaniasis patients in eastern Uganda.
- Authors: Mueller Y, Mbulamberi DB, Odermatt P, Hoffmann A, Loutan L, Chappuis F
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Leishmania-HIV co-infection: clinical presentation and outcomes in an urban area in Brazil.
- Authors: Cota GF, de Sousa MR, de Mendonça AL, Patrocinio A, Assunção LS, de Faria SR, Rabello A
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Risk factors of visceral leishmaniasis in East Africa: a case-control study in Pokot territory of Kenya and Uganda.
- Authors: Kolaczinski JH, Reithinger R, Worku DT, Ocheng A, Kasimiro J, Kabatereine N, Brooker S
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Clinical epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in the Pokot endemic area of Uganda and Kenya.
- Authors: Mueller YK, Kolaczinski JH, Koech T, Lokwang P, Riongoita M, Velilla E, Brooker SJ, Chappuis F
- Issue date: 2014 Jan