Use of filter paper as a transport medium for laboratory diagnosis of cholera under field conditions
Alberti, Kathryn P
Lonlas Mayele, Sylvaine
Guerin, Philippe J
AffiliationEpicentre, Paris, France; Institut Pasteur, Centre National de Reference des Vibrions et du Cholera, Unite des Bacteries Pathogenes Enteriques, Paris, France; Ministry of Health, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo; Medecins Sans Frontieres, Brussels, Belgium; Centre for Tropical Medicine, Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of Clinical Microbiology
AbstractConfirmation of a cholera epidemic is based on bacteriological identification of the agent and requires the sending of samples to a culture laboratory, often in countries with limited resources. Comparison of the use of filter paper with the use of Cary-Blair reference medium for stool transport showed that this simple transport medium is appropriate for the recovery of Vibrio cholerae.
PublisherAmerican Society for Microbiology
- Diagnosis of Vibrio cholerae O1 infection in Africa.
- Authors: Keddy KH, Sooka A, Parsons MB, Njanpop-Lafourcade BM, Fitchet K, Smith AM
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 1
- [Isolation and identification of cholera vibrios].
- Authors: Bockemühl J
- Issue date: 1971 Oct
- [Immunofluorescence as a presumtive test in the diagnosis of cholera. Bacteriological confirmation].
- Authors: Lourenco MC, Charneca MM
- Issue date: 1973 Jan-Dec
- Rapid diagnosis of cholera by coagglutination test.
- Authors: Hanumanthappa AR, Rajagopal V
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Cholera Rapid Test with Enrichment Step Has Diagnostic Performance Equivalent to Culture.
- Authors: Ontweka LN, Deng LO, Rauzier J, Debes AK, Tadesse F, Parker LA, Wamala JF, Bior BK, Lasuba M, But AB, Grandesso F, Jamet C, Cohuet S, Ciglenecki I, Serafini M, Sack DA, Quilici ML, Azman AS, Luquero FJ, Page AL
- Issue date: 2016