Use of filter paper as a transport medium for laboratory diagnosis of cholera under field conditions
Alberti, Kathryn P
Lonlas Mayele, Sylvaine
Guerin, Philippe J
AffiliationEpicentre, Paris, France; Institut Pasteur, Centre National de Reference des Vibrions et du Cholera, Unite des Bacteries Pathogenes Enteriques, Paris, France; Ministry of Health, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo; Medecins Sans Frontieres, Brussels, Belgium; Centre for Tropical Medicine, Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of Clinical Microbiology
AbstractConfirmation of a cholera epidemic is based on bacteriological identification of the agent and requires the sending of samples to a culture laboratory, often in countries with limited resources. Comparison of the use of filter paper with the use of Cary-Blair reference medium for stool transport showed that this simple transport medium is appropriate for the recovery of Vibrio cholerae.
PublisherAmerican Society for Microbiology
- Diagnosis of Vibrio cholerae O1 infection in Africa.
- Authors: Keddy KH, Sooka A, Parsons MB, Njanpop-Lafourcade BM, Fitchet K, Smith AM
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 1
- A simple laboratory method for the diagnosis of V. cholerae.
- Authors: Huq MI
- Issue date: 1979
- [Isolation and identification of cholera vibrios].
- Authors: Bockemühl J
- Issue date: 1971 Oct
- [Immunofluorescence as a presumtive test in the diagnosis of cholera. Bacteriological confirmation].
- Authors: Lourenco MC, Charneca MM
- Issue date: 1973 Jan-Dec
- Rapid diagnosis of cholera by coagglutination test.
- Authors: Hanumanthappa AR, Rajagopal V
- Issue date: 2001 Apr