Adherence to HIV post-exposure prophylaxis in victims of sexual assault: a systematic review and meta-analysis
AffiliationImperial College London, St Mary's Hospital, London, UK; Médecins Sans Frontières, Doctors without Borders (MSF-UK), London, UK; Centre for Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Research, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
MetadataShow full item record
JournalSexually Transmitted Infections
AbstractObjectiveTo assess adherence to post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) for the prevention of HIV infection in victims of sexual assault.MethodsThe authors carried out a systematic review, random effects meta-analysis and meta-regression of studies reporting adherence to PEP among victims of sexual violence. Seven electronic databases were searched. Our primary outcome was adherence; secondary outcomes included defaulting, refusal and side effects.Results2159 titles were screened, and 24 studies matching the inclusion criteria were taken through to analysis. The overall proportion of patients adhering to PEP (23 cohort studies, 2166 patients) was 40.3% (95% CI 32.5% to 48.1%), and the overall proportion of patients defaulting from care (18 cohorts, 1972 patients) was 41.2% (95% CI 31.1% to 51.4%). Adherence appeared to be higher in developing countries compared with developed countries.ConclusionsAdherence to PEP is poor in all settings. Interventions are needed to support adherence.
PublisherBMJ Publishing Group
- Adherence to HIV postexposure prophylaxis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Ford N, Irvine C, Shubber Z, Baggaley R, Beanland R, Vitoria M, Doherty M, Mills EJ, Calmy A
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 28
- Two, three, and four-drug regimens for HIV post-exposure prophylaxis in a North American sexual assault victim population.
- Authors: Kumar T, Sampsel K, Stiell IG
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- A randomized clinical trial comparing ritonavir-boosted lopinavir versus raltegravir each with tenofovir plus emtricitabine for post-exposure prophylaxis for HIV infection.
- Authors: Leal L, León A, Torres B, Inciarte A, Lucero C, Mallolas J, Laguno M, Martínez-Rebollar M, González-Cordón A, Manzardo C, Rojas J, Pich J, Arnaiz JA, Gatell JM, García F, RALPEP Study Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- A randomized clinical trial comparing ritonavir-boosted lopinavir versus maraviroc each with tenofovir plus emtricitabine for post-exposure prophylaxis for HIV infection.
- Authors: Leal L, León A, Torres B, Inciarte A, Lucero C, Mallolas J, Laguno M, Martínez-Rebollar M, González-Cordón A, Manzardo C, Rojas J, Pich J, Arnaiz JA, Gatell JM, García F, MARAVIPEP Study Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Sexual Assault and HIV Postexposure Prophylaxis at an Urban African Hospital.
- Authors: Muriuki EM, Kimani J, Machuki Z, Kiarie J, Roxby AC
- Issue date: 2017 Jun