Outbreak of Marburg hemorrhagic fever among miners in Kamwenge and Ibanda Districts, Uganda, 2007
Farnon, Eileen C
Wamala, Joseph F
Bwire, Godfrey S
Lutwama, Julius J
Tappero, Jordan W
Nichol, Stuart T
Rollin, Pierre E
AffiliationLaboratory of Clinical Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland; Viral Special Pathogens Branch, Division of High-Consequence Pathogens and Pathology, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia; World Health Organization–Regional Office for Africa, Brazzaville, Congo; Ministry of Health, Kampala, Uganda; Ibanda Hospital, Ibanda, Uganda; Médecins sans Frontières, Barcelona, Spain; Uganda Virus Research Institute; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Entebbe, Uganda; World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMarburg hemorrhagic fever was detected among 4 miners in Ibanda District, Uganda, from June through September, 2007. Infection was likely acquired through exposure to bats or bat secretions in a mine in Kamwenge District, Uganda, and possibly human-to-human transmission between some patients. We describe the epidemiologic investigation and the health education response.
PublisherOxford University Press
- Seasonal pulses of Marburg virus circulation in juvenile Rousettus aegyptiacus bats coincide with periods of increased risk of human infection.
- Authors: Amman BR, Carroll SA, Reed ZD, Sealy TK, Balinandi S, Swanepoel R, Kemp A, Erickson BR, Comer JA, Campbell S, Cannon DL, Khristova ML, Atimnedi P, Paddock CD, Crockett RJ, Flietstra TD, Warfield KL, Unfer R, Katongole-Mbidde E, Downing R, Tappero JW, Zaki SR, Rollin PE, Ksiazek TG, Nichol ST, Towner JS
- Issue date: 2012
- Repeated outbreaks of viral hemorrhagic fevers in Uganda.
- Authors: Mbonye A, Wamala J, Winyi-Kaboyo, Tugumizemo V, Aceng J, Makumbi I
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Isolated Case of Marburg Virus Disease, Kampala, Uganda, 2014.
- Authors: Nyakarahuka L, Ojwang J, Tumusiime A, Balinandi S, Whitmer S, Kyazze S, Kasozi S, Wetaka M, Makumbi I, Dahlke M, Borchert J, Lutwama J, Ströher U, Rollin PE, Nichol ST, Shoemaker TR
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Knowledge and attitude towards Ebola and Marburg virus diseases in Uganda using quantitative and participatory epidemiology techniques.
- Authors: Nyakarahuka L, Skjerve E, Nabadda D, Sitali DC, Mumba C, Mwiine FN, Lutwama JJ, Balinandi S, Shoemaker T, Kankya C
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Marburg hemorrhagic fever associated with multiple genetic lineages of virus.
- Authors: Bausch DG, Nichol ST, Muyembe-Tamfum JJ, Borchert M, Rollin PE, Sleurs H, Campbell P, Tshioko FK, Roth C, Colebunders R, Pirard P, Mardel S, Olinda LA, Zeller H, Tshomba A, Kulidri A, Libande ML, Mulangu S, Formenty P, Grein T, Leirs H, Braack L, Ksiazek T, Zaki S, Bowen MD, Smit SB, Leman PA, Burt FJ, Kemp A, Swanepoel R, International Scientific and Technical Committee for Marburg Hemorrhagic Fever Control in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 31