Mortality by baseline CD4 cell count among HIV patients initiating antiretroviral therapy: evidence from a large cohort in Uganda
AuthorsMills, Edward J
Hogg, Robert S
AffiliationFaculty of Health Sciences, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada; The AIDS Support Organization (TASO), Headquarters, Kampala, Uganda; British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS, Vancouver, Canada; Médecins Sans Frontiers (MSF), Geneva, Switzerland; Division of Infectious Diseases, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Canada
MetadataShow full item record
JournalAIDS (London, England)
AbstractEvaluations of CD4 cell count and other prognostic factors on the survival of HIV patients in sub-Saharan Africa are extremely limited. Funders have been reticent to recommend earlier initiation of treatment. We aimed to examine the effect of baseline CD4 cell count on mortality using data from HIV patients receiving combination antiretroviral therapy (cART) in Uganda.
PublisherLippincott Williams & Wilkins
- A CD4+ cell count <200 cells per cubic millimeter at 2 years after initiation of combination antiretroviral therapy is associated with increased mortality in HIV-infected individuals with viral suppression.
- Authors: Loutfy MR, Genebat M, Moore D, Raboud J, Chan K, Antoniou T, Milan D, Shen A, Klein MB, Cooper C, Machouf N, Rourke SB, Rachlis A, Tsoukas C, Montaner JS, Walmsley SL, Smieja M, Bayoumi A, Mills E, Hogg RS, CANOC Collaboration.
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Total lymphocyte count as a possible surrogate of CD4 cell count to prioritize eligibility for antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected individuals in resource-limited settings.
- Authors: Bedell R, Heath KV, Hogg RS, Wood E, Press N, Yip B, O'Shaughnessy MV, Montaner JS
- Issue date: 2003 Oct
- Life expectancy of persons receiving combination antiretroviral therapy in low-income countries: a cohort analysis from Uganda.
- Authors: Mills EJ, Bakanda C, Birungi J, Chan K, Ford N, Cooper CL, Nachega JB, Dybul M, Hogg RS
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 16
- Gender differences in antiretroviral treatment outcomes of HIV patients in rural Uganda.
- Authors: Kipp W, Alibhai A, Saunders LD, Senthilselvan A, Kaler A, Konde-Lule J, Okech-Ojony J, Rubaale T
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Clinical and immunological outcomes of a national paediatric cohort receiving combination antiretroviral therapy in Uganda.
- Authors: Kiboneka A, Wangisi J, Nabiryo C, Tembe J, Kusemererwa S, Olupot-Olupot P, Joffres M, Anema A, Cooper CL, Montaner JS, Mills EJ
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 30