Sexual violence in post-conflict Liberia: survivors and their care.
Hinderaker, S G
De Plecker, E
Van Wolvelaer, P
AffiliationMedecins sans Frontieres, Medical Department, Operational Center Brussels, Luxembourg, Luxembourg Centre for International Health, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Paris, France Medecins sans Frontieres, Operational Center Brussels, Brussels, Belgium Medecins sans Frontieres, Monrovia, Liberia Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, Monrovia, Liberia Ministry of Gender and Development, Monrovia, Liberia.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUsing routine data from three clinics offering care to survivors of sexual violence (SV) in Monrovia, Liberia, we describe the characteristics of SV survivors and the pattern of SV and discuss how the current approach could be better adapted to meet survivors' needs. There were 1500 survivors seeking SV care between January 2008 and December 2009. Most survivors were women (98%) and median age was 13 years (Interquartile range: 9-17 years). Sexual aggression occurred during day-to-day activities in 822 (55%) cases and in the survivor's home in 552 (37%) cases. The perpetrator was a known civilian in 1037 (69%) SV events. Only 619 (41%) survivors sought care within 72 h. The current approach could be improved by: effectively addressing the psychosocial needs of child survivors, reaching male survivors, targeting the perpetrators in awareness and advocacy campaigns and reducing delays in seeking care.
- Demographics and care-seeking behaviors of sexual violence survivors in South Kivu province, Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Authors: Bartels SA, Scott JA, Leaning J, Kelly JT, Joyce NR, Mukwege D, Vanrooyen MJ
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Care-seeking behavior by survivors of sexual assault in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Authors: Casey SE, Gallagher MC, Makanda BR, Meyers JL, Vinas MC, Austin J
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Long-term effects of conflict-related sexual violence compared with non-sexual war trauma in female World War II survivors: a matched pairs study.
- Authors: Kuwert P, Glaesmer H, Eichhorn S, Grundke E, Pietrzak RH, Freyberger HJ, Klauer T
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Assessment of reproductive health and violence against women among displaced Syrians in Lebanon.
- Authors: Reese Masterson A, Usta J, Gupta J, Ettinger AS
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 20
- Fistula and other adverse reproductive health outcomes among women victims of conflict-related sexual violence: a population-based cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Dossa NI, Zunzunegui MV, Hatem M, Fraser W
- Issue date: 2014 Mar