Evaluation and use of surveillance system data toward the identification of high-risk areas for potential cholera vaccination: a case study from Niger.
AffiliationEpicentre-8, Rue St-Sabin, 75011 Paris, France; Direction régionale de la Santé Publique, Maradi, Niger; Faculté des sciences de la santé, Université de Niamey, Niamey, Niger.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalBMC Research Notes
AbstractIn 2008, Africa accounted for 94% of the cholera cases reported worldwide. Although the World Health Organization currently recommends the oral cholera vaccine in endemic areas for high-risk populations, its use in Sub-Saharan Africa has been limited. Here, we provide the principal results of an evaluation of the cholera surveillance system in the region of Maradi in Niger and an analysis of its data towards identifying high-risk areas for cholera.
- First outbreak response using an oral cholera vaccine in Africa: vaccine coverage, acceptability and surveillance of adverse events, Guinea, 2012.
- Authors: Luquero FJ, Grout L, Ciglenecki I, Sakoba K, Traore B, Heile M, Dialo AA, Itama C, Serafini M, Legros D, Grais RF
- Issue date: 2013
- The design and analysis of cholera vaccine trials: recent lessons from Bangladesh.
- Authors: Clemens J, Sack D, Rao M, Chakraborty J, Kay B, Ahmed F, Khan MR, van Loon FP, Svennerholm AM, Holmgren J
- Issue date: 1993 Aug
- Cost-effectiveness of oral cholera vaccine in a stable refugee population at risk for epidemic cholera and in a population with endemic cholera.
- Authors: Murray J, McFarland DA, Waldman RJ
- Issue date: 1998
- Review of reported cholera outbreaks worldwide, 1995-2005.
- Authors: Griffith DC, Kelly-Hope LA, Miller MA
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Mass vaccination with a two-dose oral cholera vaccine in a refugee camp.
- Authors: Legros D, Paquet C, Perea W, Marty I, Mugisha NK, Royer H, Neira M, Ivanoff B
- Issue date: 1999