Safety of efavirenz in the first trimester of pregnancy: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis
AffiliationCentre for Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Research, University of Cape Town, South Africa; Médecins Sans Frontières, Geneva, Switzerland; Geneva University Hospital, HIV Unit, Service of Infectious Diseases, Geneva, Switzerland; Pediatric, Adolescent and Maternal AIDS Branch, Center for Research for Mothers and Children, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
MetadataShow full item record
JournalAIDS (London, England)
AbstractEvidence of the risk of birth defects with efavirenz use is limited. We updated a meta-analysis of birth defects in infants with first trimester efavirenz exposure up to July 2011. In 21 studies, there were 39 defects among live births in 1437 women receiving first trimester efavirenz [2.0%, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.82-3.18]. The relative risk of defects comparing women on efavirenz-based (1290 live births) and nonefavirenz-based regimens (8122 live births) was 0.85 (95% CI 0.61-1.20). One neural tube defect was observed (myelomeningocele), giving an incidence of 0.07% (95% CI 0.002-0.39).
PublisherLippincott Williams & Wilkins
DescriptionArticle approval pending
- Safety of efavirenz in the first trimester of pregnancy: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Ford N, Mofenson L, Shubber Z, Calmy A, Andrieux-Meyer I, Vitoria M, Shaffer N, Renaud F
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Safety of efavirenz in first-trimester of pregnancy: a systematic review and meta-analysis of outcomes from observational cohorts.
- Authors: Ford N, Mofenson L, Kranzer K, Medu L, Frigati L, Mills EJ, Calmy A
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 19
- Birth defects following exposure to efavirenz-based antiretroviral therapy during pregnancy: a study at a regional South African hospital.
- Authors: Bera E, McCausland K, Nonkwelo R, Mgudlwa B, Chacko S, Majeke B
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 16
- Birth Defects After Exposure to Efavirenz-Based Antiretroviral Therapy at Conception/First Trimester of Pregnancy: A Multicohort Analysis.
- Authors: Martinez de Tejada B, European Pregnancy and Paediatric HIV Cohort Collaboration Study Group.
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 1
- Birth defects in a national cohort of pregnant women with HIV infection in Italy, 2001-2011.
- Authors: Floridia M, Mastroiacovo P, Tamburrini E, Tibaldi C, Todros T, Crepaldi A, Sansone M, Fiscon M, Liuzzi G, Guerra B, Vimercati A, Vichi F, Vicini I, Pinnetti C, Marconi AM, Ravizza M, Italian Group on Surveillance on Antiretroviral Treatment in Pregnancy.
- Issue date: 2013 Nov