Cost and cost-effectiveness of switching from d4T or AZT to a TDF-based first-line regimen in a resource-limited setting in rural Lesotho
AffiliationMedecins Sans Frontieres, Morija, Lesotho; Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Clinical Research Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK; Medecins Sans Frontieres, Cape Town, South Africa; Centre for Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Research, University of Cape Town, South Africa; Medecins Sans Frontieres, Geneva, Switzerland; Scott Hospital, Morija, Lesotho; Health Economics Unit, University of Cape Town, South Africa
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLatest World Health Organization guidelines recommend shifting away from Stavudine (d4T)-based regimens due to severe side effects. However, widespread replacement of d4T by Tenofovir (TDF) or Zidovudine (AZT) is hampered by cost concerns.
PublisherLippincott Williams & Wilkins
DescriptionArticle approval pending
- Cost and cost-effectiveness of switching from stavudine to tenofovir in first-line antiretroviral regimens in South Africa.
- Authors: Rosen S, Long L, Fox M, Sanne I
- Issue date: 2008 Jul 1
- Implementing a tenofovir-based first-line regimen in rural Lesotho: clinical outcomes and toxicities after two years.
- Authors: Bygrave H, Ford N, van Cutsem G, Hilderbrand K, Jouquet G, Goemaere E, Vlahakis N, Triviño L, Makakole L, Kranzer K
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 1
- Advantages of low-cost generic tenofovir instead of D4T for first-line antiretroviral therapy in Burma: a 2-year experience.
- Authors: Moore S, Myint MM, Galau NH
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 19
- Antiviral efficacy and genotypic resistance patterns of combination therapy with stavudine/tenofovir in highly active antiretroviral therapy experienced patients.
- Authors: Antinori A, Trotta MP, Nasta P, Bini T, Bonora S, Castagna A, Zaccarelli M, Quirino T, Landonio S, Merli S, Tozzi V, Di Perri G, Andreoni M, Perno CF, Carosi G
- Issue date: 2006
- Comparison of tenofovir, zidovudine, or stavudine as part of first-line antiretroviral therapy in a resource-limited-setting: a cohort study.
- Authors: Velen K, Lewis JJ, Charalambous S, Grant AD, Churchyard GJ, Hoffmann CJ
- Issue date: 2013