Reasons for unsatisfactory acceptance of antiretroviral treatment in the urban Kibera slum, Kenya.
AffiliationDepartment of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe aim of this study was to explore why patients in the urban Kibera slum, Nairobi, Kenya, offered free antiretroviral treatment (ART) at the Médecins Sans Frontièrs (MSF) clinic, choose not to be treated despite signs of AIDS. Qualitative semi-structured interviews were conducted with 26 patients, 9 men and 17 women. Six main reasons emerged for not accepting ART: a) fear of taking medication on an empty stomach due to lack of food; b) fear that side-effects associated with ART would make one more ill; c) fear of disclosure and its possible negative repercussions; d) concern for continuity of treatment and care; e) conflicting information from religious leaders and community, and seeking alternative care (e.g. traditional medicine); f) illiteracy making patients unable to understand the information given by health workers.
PublisherTaylor & Francis
DescriptionTo access this article, click on "Additional Links" and follow the publisher's instructions for a free version.
To Access this article, click on "Additional Links".
- The influence of traditional medicine and religion on discontinuation of ART in an urban informal settlement in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Authors: Unge C, Ragnarsson A, Ekström AM, Indalo D, Belita A, Carter J, Ilako F, Södergård B
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- The decision to forgo antiretroviral therapy in people living with HIV compliance as paternalism or partnership?
- Authors: Kremer H, Bader A, O'Cleirigh C, Bierhoff HW, Brockmeyer NH
- Issue date: 2004 Feb 27
- Sexual risk taking among patients on antiretroviral therapy in an urban informal settlement in Kenya: a cross-sectional survey.
- Authors: Ragnarsson A, Ekström AM, Carter J, Ilako F, Lukhwaro A, Marrone G, Thorson A
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 18
- Which factors hinder the decision of Polish HIV-positive patients to take up antiretroviral therapy?
- Authors: Rogowska-Szadkowska D, Chlabicz S, Oltarzewska MA, Sawicka-Powierza J
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- The STARK study: a cross-sectional study of adherence to short-term drug regiments in urban Kenya.
- Authors: Ellis AE, Gogel RP, Roman BR, Watson JB, Indyk D, Rosenberg G
- Issue date: 2006