Plasmodium vivax resistance to chloroquine in Dawei, southern Myanmar.
AuthorsGuthmann, J P
Min Lwin, M
de Radiguès, X
AffiliationEpicentre, Paris, France.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To assess the efficacy of chloroquine in the treatment of Plasmodium vivax malaria in in Dawei District, southern Myanmar. METHODS: Enrolled patients at Sonsinphya clinic >6 months of age were assessed clinically and parasitologically every week for 28 days. To differentiate new infections from recrudescence, we genotyped pre- and post-treatment parasitaemia. Blood chloroquine was measured to confirm resistant strains. RESULTS: Between December 2002 and April 2003, 2661 patients were screened, of whom 252 were included and 235 analysed. Thirty-four per cent (95% CI: 28.1-40.6) of patients had recurrent parasitaemia and were considered treatment failures. 59.4% of these recurrences were with a different parasite strain. Two (0.8%) patients with recurrences on day 14 had chloroquine concentrations above the threshold of 100 ng/ml and were considered infected with chloroquine resistant parasites. 21% of failures occurred during the first 3 weeks of follow-up: early recurrence and median levels of blood chloroquine comparable to those of controls suggested P. vivax resistance. CONCLUSIONS: Plasmodium vivax resistance to chloroquine seems to be emerging in Dawei, near the Thai-Burmese border. While chloroquine remains the first-line drug for P. vivax infections in this area of Myanmar, regular monitoring is needed to detect further development of parasite resistance.
- Chloroquine-resistant Plasmodium vivax malaria in Serbo town, Jimma zone, south-west Ethiopia.
- Authors: Ketema T, Bacha K, Birhanu T, Petros B
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 30
- Therapeutic efficacy of chloroquine and chloroquine plus primaquine for the treatment of Plasmodium vivax in Ethiopia.
- Authors: Yeshiwondim AK, Tekle AH, Dengela DO, Yohannes AM, Teklehaimanot A
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Evaluation of chloroquine therapy for vivax and falciparum malaria in southern Sumatra, western Indonesia.
- Authors: Sutanto I, Endawati D, Ling LH, Laihad F, Setiabudy R, Baird JK
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 12
- In vivo sensitivity monitoring of chloroquine for the treatment of uncomplicated vivax malaria in four bordered provinces of Thailand during 2009-2010.
- Authors: Congpuon K, Satimai W, Sujariyakul A, Intanakom S, Harnpitakpong W, Pranuth Y, Cholpol S, Bualombai P
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Chloroquine-resistant Plasmodium vivax malaria in Peru.
- Authors: Ruebush TK 2nd, Zegarra J, Cairo J, Andersen EM, Green M, Pillai DR, Marquiño W, Huilca M, Arévalo E, Garcia C, Solary L, Kain KC
- Issue date: 2003 Nov