Should Sputum Smear Examination Be Carried Out at the End of the Intensive Phase and End of Treatment in Sputum Smear Negative Pulmonary TB Patients?
AffiliationAll India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Indian guidelines on following up sputum smear-negative Pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB) patients differ from the current World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines in that the former recommends two follow up sputum examinations (once at the end of intensive phase and the other at the end of treatment) while the latter recommends only one follow up sputum smear microscopy examination, which is done at the end of the intensive phase. This study was conducted to examine if there was any added value in performing an additional sputum smear examination at the end of treatment within the context of a national TB program.
- Sputum completion and conversion rates after intensive phase of tuberculosis treatment: an assessment of the Rwandan control program.
- Authors: Kayigamba FR, Bakker MI, Mugisha V, Gasana M, Schim van der Loeff MF
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 16
- Sputum conversion at the end of intensive phase of Category-1 regimen in the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis patients with diabetes mellitus or HIV infection: An analysis of risk factors.
- Authors: Banu Rekha VV, Balasubramanian R, Swaminathan S, Ramachandran R, Rahman F, Sundaram V, Thyagarajan K, Selvakumar N, Adhilakshmi AR, Iliayas S, Narayanan PR
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Relationship between sputum smear grading and smear conversion rate and treatment outcome in the patients of pulmonary tuberculosis undergoing dots--a prospective cohort study.
- Authors: Tiwari S, Kumar A, Kapoor SK
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- API TB Consensus Guidelines 2006: Management of pulmonary tuberculosis, extra-pulmonary tuberculosis and tuberculosis in special situations.
- Authors: API Consensus Expert Committee.
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Sputum smear microscopy at two months into continuation-phase: should it be done in all patients with sputum smear-positive tuberculosis?
- Authors: Gandhi MP, Kumar AM, Toshniwal MN, Reddy RH, Oeltmann JE, Nair SA, Satyanarayana S, Dewan PK, Mannan S
- Issue date: 2012