Patterns of deliberate self-burning in various parts of the world. A review.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières, 8 rue Saint-Sabin, 75544 Paris 11, France. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper reviews the literature on deliberate self-burning (DSB) and compares patterns in various countries. Fifty-five studies of deliberate self-harm or suicide by fire published in the last 20 years were reviewed. They reported on 3351 cases of DSB, including 2296 deaths. India had the highest absolute number of cases, the highest fatality rate, and the highest contribution of self-harm to burns admissions. The highest reported incidence was from Sri Lanka. Male victims generally predominated in Western countries, and females in the Middle East and the Indian sub-continent. Patients were grossly 10 years older in Europe than in Asia. The use and nature of fire accelerants, the possible roles of ethnicity, religion/faith and imitation are discussed. Three broad groups of victims were identified: psychiatric patients (Western and Middle-Eastern countries); those committing DSB for personal reasons (India, Sri Lanka, Papua-New Guinea, Zimbabwe); and those who are politically motivated (India, South Korea). Self-mutilators and self-immolators seem to be fairly distinct groups of people.
- Severe burn trauma from deliberate self-harm: the Sokoto experience.
- Authors: Legbo JN, Ntia IO, Opara WE, Obembe A
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Deliberate self-harm by means of kerosene fire by women in Papua New Guinea.
- Authors: Johnson FY, Sinha SN
- Issue date: 1993 Mar
- Self-inflicted burns.
- Authors: Cameron DR, Pegg SP, Muller M
- Issue date: 1997 Sep
- A study of suicide and attempted suicide by self-immolation in an Irish psychiatric population: an increasing problem.
- Authors: O'Donoghue JM, Panchal JL, O'Sullivan ST, O'Shaughnessy M, O'Connor TP, Keeley H, Kelleher MJ
- Issue date: 1998 Mar
- Epidemiology of burns throughout the World. Part II: intentional burns in adults.
- Authors: Peck MD
- Issue date: 2012 Aug