Lessons and challenges for measles control from unexpected large outbreak, Malawi
Grais, Rebecca F
Luquero, Francisco J
AffiliationEpicentre, Paris, France; Ministry of Health, Lilongwe, Malawi; Médecins Sans Frontières, Lilongwe; Médecins Sans Frontières, Paris, France; Médecins Sans Frontières, Brussels, Belgium; Médecins Sans Frontières, Barcelona, Spain.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEmerging infectious diseases
AbstractDespite high reported coverage for routine and supplementary immunization, in 2010 in Malawi, a large measles outbreak occurred that comprised 134,000 cases and 304 deaths. Although the highest attack rates were for young children (2.3%, 7.6%, and 4.5% for children <6, 6-8, and 9-11 months, respectively), persons >15 years of age were highly affected (1.0% and 0.4% for persons 15-19 and >19 years, respectively; 28% of all cases). A survey in 8 districts showed routine coverage of 95.0% for children 12-23 months; 57.9% for children 9-11 months; and 60.7% for children covered during the last supplementary immunization activities in 2008. Vaccine effectiveness was 83.9% for 1 dose and 90.5% for 2 doses. A continuous accumulation of susceptible persons during the past decade probably accounts for this outbreak. Countries en route to measles elimination, such as Malawi, should improve outbreak preparedness. Timeliness and the population chosen are crucial elements for reactive campaigns.
- Measles epidemiology and outbreak response immunization in a rural community in Peru.
- Authors: Sniadack DH, Moscoso B, Aguilar R, Heath J, Bellini W, Chiu MC
- Issue date: 1999
- Measles outbreak investigation in Guji zone of Oromia Region, Ethiopia.
- Authors: Belda K, Tegegne AA, Mersha AM, Bayenessagne MG, Hussein I, Bezabeh B
- Issue date: 2017
- The measles outbreak in Bulgaria, 2009-2011: An epidemiological assessment and lessons learnt.
- Authors: Muscat M, Marinova L, Mankertz A, Gatcheva N, Mihneva Z, Santibanez S, Kunchev A, Filipova R, Kojouharova M
- Issue date: 2016
- Measles resurgence in southern Africa: challenges to measles elimination.
- Authors: Shibeshi ME, Masresha BG, Smit SB, Biellik RJ, Nicholson JL, Muitherero C, Shivute N, Walker O, Reggis K, Goodson JL
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 1
- Local discrepancies in measles vaccination opportunities: results of population-based surveys in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Authors: Grout L, Conan N, Juan Giner A, Hurtado N, Fermon F, N'Goran A, Grellety E, Minetti A, Porten K, Grais RF
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 21