Tuberculosis diagnostics and biomarkers: needs, challenges, recent advances, and opportunities.
McHugh, T D
Grobusch, M P
Squire, S B
Kim, P S
AffiliationDepartment of Pathogen Molecular Biology, Faculty of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of Infectious Diseases
AbstractTuberculosis is unique among the major infectious diseases in that it lacks accurate rapid point-of-care diagnostic tests. Failure to control the spread of tuberculosis is largely due to our inability to detect and treat all infectious cases of pulmonary tuberculosis in a timely fashion, allowing continued Mycobacterium tuberculosis transmission within communities. Currently recommended gold-standard diagnostic tests for tuberculosis are laboratory based, and multiple investigations may be necessary over a period of weeks or months before a diagnosis is made. Several new diagnostic tests have recently become available for detecting active tuberculosis disease, screening for latent M. tuberculosis infection, and identifying drug-resistant strains of M. tuberculosis. However, progress toward a robust point-of-care test has been limited, and novel biomarker discovery remains challenging. In the absence of effective prevention strategies, high rates of early case detection and subsequent cure are required for global tuberculosis control. Early case detection is dependent on test accuracy, accessibility, cost, and complexity, but also depends on the political will and funder investment to deliver optimal, sustainable care to those worst affected by the tuberculosis and human immunodeficiency virus epidemics. This review highlights unanswered questions, challenges, recent advances, unresolved operational and technical issues, needs, and opportunities related to tuberculosis diagnostics.
- [Evolution of IGRA researches].
- Authors: Ariga H, Harada N
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Recent advances in the laboratory detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex and drug resistance.
- Authors: Wilson ML
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Advances in rapid diagnosis of tuberculosis disease and anti-tuberculous drug resistance.
- Authors: Alcaide F, Coll P
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Advancing the development of diagnostic tests and biomarkers for tuberculosis.
- Authors: Yasinskaya Y, Plikaytis B, Sizemore C, Sacks L
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- New diagnostics for latent and active tuberculosis: state of the art and future prospects.
- Authors: Pai M, O'Brien R
- Issue date: 2008 Oct