Artemether-Lumefantrine to treat Malaria in pregnancy is associated with reduced placental Haemozoin deposition compared to Quinine in a randomized controlled trial
Guerin, Philippe J
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, University of Washington, Box 357470, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Seattle, WA, USA. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractData on efficacy of artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACT) to treat Plasmodium falciparum during pregnancy in sub-Saharan Africa is scarce. A recent open label, randomized controlled trial in Mbarara, Uganda demonstrated that artemether-lumefantrine (AL) is not inferior to quinine to treat uncomplicated malaria in pregnancy. Haemozoin can persist in the placenta following clearance of parasites, however there is no data whether ACT can influence the amount of haemozoin or the dynamics of haemozoin clearance.
- Efficacy and safety of artemether-lumefantrine compared with quinine in pregnant women with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria: an open-label, randomised, non-inferiority trial.
- Authors: Piola P, Nabasumba C, Turyakira E, Dhorda M, Lindegardh N, Nyehangane D, Snounou G, Ashley EA, McGready R, Nosten F, Guerin PJ
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- A systematic review of the safety and efficacy of artemether-lumefantrine against uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria during pregnancy.
- Authors: Manyando C, Kayentao K, D'Alessandro U, Okafor HU, Juma E, Hamed K
- Issue date: 2012 May 1
- Adding a single low-dose of primaquine (0.25 mg/kg) to artemether-lumefantrine did not compromise treatment outcome of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Tanzania: a randomized, single-blinded clinical trial.
- Authors: Mwaiswelo R, Ngasala B, Jovel I, Aydin-Schmidt B, Gosling R, Premji Z, Mmbando B, Björkman A, Mårtensson A
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 26
- Repeated treatment of recurrent uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Senegal with fixed-dose artesunate plus amodiaquine versus fixed-dose artemether plus lumefantrine: a randomized, open-label trial.
- Authors: Ndiaye JL, Faye B, Gueye A, Tine R, Ndiaye D, Tchania C, Ndiaye I, Barry A, Cissé B, Lameyre V, Gaye O
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 12
- Multicentric assessment of the efficacy and tolerability of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine compared to artemether-lumefantrine in the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Authors: Yavo W, Faye B, Kuete T, Djohan V, Oga SA, Kassi RR, Diatta M, Ama MV, Tine R, Ndiaye JL, Evi JB, Same-Ekobo A, Faye O, Koné M
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 20