Clinical Manifestations and Case Management of Ebola Haemorrhagic Fever caused by a newly identified virus strain, Bundibugyo, Uganda, 2007-2008
Van Kerkhove, Maria D
Palma, Pedro Pablo
Van Herp, Michel
AffiliationMedical Departments of Médecins Sans Frontières, Barcelona, Spain. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA confirmed Ebola haemorrhagic fever (EHF) outbreak in Bundibugyo, Uganda, November 2007-February 2008, was caused by a putative new species (Bundibugyo ebolavirus). It included 93 putative cases, 56 laboratory-confirmed cases, and 37 deaths (CFR = 25%). Study objectives are to describe clinical manifestations and case management for 26 hospitalised laboratory-confirmed EHF patients. Clinical findings are congruous with previously reported EHF infections. The most frequently experienced symptoms were non-bloody diarrhoea (81%), severe headache (81%), and asthenia (77%). Seven patients reported or were observed with haemorrhagic symptoms, six of whom died. Ebola care remains difficult due to the resource-poor setting of outbreaks and the infection-control procedures required. However, quality data collection is essential to evaluate case definitions and therapeutic interventions, and needs improvement in future epidemics. Organizations usually involved in EHF case management have a particular responsibility in this respect.
- Proportion of deaths and clinical features in Bundibugyo Ebola virus infection, Uganda.
- Authors: MacNeil A, Farnon EC, Wamala J, Okware S, Cannon DL, Reed Z, Towner JS, Tappero JW, Lutwama J, Downing R, Nichol ST, Ksiazek TG, Rollin PE
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Ebola hemorrhagic fever associated with novel virus strain, Uganda, 2007-2008.
- Authors: Wamala JF, Lukwago L, Malimbo M, Nguku P, Yoti Z, Musenero M, Amone J, Mbabazi W, Nanyunja M, Zaramba S, Opio A, Lutwama JJ, Talisuna AO, Okware SI
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Newly discovered ebola virus associated with hemorrhagic fever outbreak in Uganda.
- Authors: Towner JS, Sealy TK, Khristova ML, Albariño CG, Conlan S, Reeder SA, Quan PL, Lipkin WI, Downing R, Tappero JW, Okware S, Lutwama J, Bakamutumaho B, Kayiwa J, Comer JA, Rollin PE, Ksiazek TG, Nichol ST
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Filovirus outbreak detection and surveillance: lessons from Bundibugyo.
- Authors: MacNeil A, Farnon EC, Morgan OW, Gould P, Boehmer TK, Blaney DD, Wiersma P, Tappero JW, Nichol ST, Ksiazek TG, Rollin PE
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Ebola haemorrhagic fever among hospitalised children and adolescents in northern Uganda: epidemiologic and clinical observations.
- Authors: Mupere E, Kaducu OF, Yoti Z
- Issue date: 2001 Dec