Effectiveness of blood transfusions and risk factors for mortality in children aged from 1 month to 4 years at the Bon Marche Hospital, Bunia, Democratic Republic of Congo
AffiliationEpicentre, Paris, France Médecins Sans Frontières, Geneva, Switzerland National Program for Blood Transfusion, Bunia, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective To assess the effectiveness of blood transfusions in a hospital of north-eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo. Methods Prospective study of children admitted for severe anaemia. During admission, data were collected on clinical condition and haemoglobin levels, before and after blood transfusion. A linear regression model was built to explore factors associated with haemoglobin level after transfusion. Risk factors for mortality were explored through multivariate logistic regression. Results Haemoglobin level (Hb) was below 4 g/dl in 35% (230/657), between 4 and 6 g/dl in 58% (348/657) and at least 6 g/dl in another 6% (43/657) of the transfused children. A transfusion of 15 ml/kg of whole blood increased the Hb from 4.4 to 7.8 g/dl. Haemoglobin level after transfusion was associated with baseline Hb, quantity of delivered blood and history of previous transfusions. Overall case-fatality rate was 5.6% (37/657). Risk factors for deaths were co-morbidities such as chest infection, meningitis or malnutrition, Hb ≥ 6 g/dl, impaired consciousness or jugular venous distention on admission, and provenance. Conclusion Transfusion was a frequent practice, the use of which could clearly have been rationalised. While indications should be restricted, quantities of transfused blood should be adapted to needs.
- Effect of blood transfusion on survival among children in a Kenyan hospital.
- Authors: Lackritz EM, Campbell CC, Ruebush TK 2nd, Hightower AW, Wakube W, Steketee RW, Were JB
- Issue date: 1992 Aug 29
- Anaemia, blood transfusion practices, HIV and mortality among women of reproductive age in western Kenya.
- Authors: Zucker JR, Lackritz EM, Ruebush TK, Hightower AW, Adungosi JE, Were JB, Campbell CC
- Issue date: 1994 Mar-Apr
- Childhood deaths from anaemia in Accra, Ghana.
- Authors: Commey JO, Dekyem P
- Issue date: 1995 Apr-Jun
- Longitudinal evaluation of severely anemic children in Kenya: the effect of transfusion on mortality and hematologic recovery.
- Authors: Lackritz EM, Hightower AW, Zucker JR, Ruebush TK 2nd, Onudi CO, Steketee RW, Were JB, Patrick E, Campbell CC
- Issue date: 1997 Oct