Human African trypanosomiasis amongst urban residents in Kinshasa: a case-control study.
Miaka mia Bilenge, C
Kande Betu Ku Mesu, V
De Deken, R
Van der Stuyft, P
AffiliationInstitute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Increasing numbers of human African trypanosomiasis (HAT) cases have been reported in urban residents of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic Congo since 1996. We set up a case-control study to identify risk factors for the disease. METHODS: All residents of the urban part of Kinshasa with parasitologically confirmed HAT and presenting for treatment to the city's specialized HAT clinics between 1 August, 2002 and 28 February, 2003 were included as cases. We defined the urban part as the area with contiguous habitation and a population density >5000 inhabitants per square kilometre. A digital map of the area was drawn based on a satellite image. For each case, two serologically negative controls were selected, matched on age, sex and neighbourhood. Logistic regression models were fitted to control for confounding. RESULTS: The following risk factors were independently associated with HAT: travel, commerce and cultivating fields in Bandundu, and commerce and cultivating fields in the rural part of Kinshasa. No association with activities in the city itself was found. DISCUSSION: In 2002, the emergence of HAT in urban residents of Kinshasa appears mainly linked to disease transmission in Bandundu and rural Kinshasa. We recommend to intensify control of these foci, to target HAT screening in urban residents to people with contact with these foci, to increase awareness of HAT amongst health workers in the urban health structures and to strengthen disease surveillance.
- [Epidemiological, clinical and sociodemographic characteristics of human African trypanosomiasis (HAT) in and around Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo].
- Authors: Tshimungu K, Okenge LN, Mukeba JN, Kande VB, De Mol P
- Issue date: 2009 Apr-Jun
- Knowledge, behaviours, practices and beliefs regarding Human African Trypanosomiasis (HAT) among inhabitants of Kinshasa (Democratic Republic of Congo).
- Authors: Tshimungu K, Kalambayi BB, Kiyombo M, Okenge LN, Mol PD
- Issue date: 2008 Jul-Sep
- [Re-emergence of human African trypanosomiasis in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)].
- Authors: Tshimungu K, Okenge LN, Mukeba JN, de Mol P
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- [Human African trypanosomiasis in the urban milieu: the example of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic if the Congo, in 1998 and 1999].
- Authors: Bilengue CM, Meso VK, Louis FJ, Lucas P
- Issue date: 2001
- Trypanosomiasis in Kinshasa: distribution of the vector, Glossina fuscipes quanzensis, and risk of transmission in the peri-urban area.
- Authors: De Deken R, Sumbu J, Mpiana S, Mansinsa P, Wat'senga F, Lutumba P, Boelaert M, Van den Bossche P
- Issue date: 2005 Dec