AffiliationDepartment of Nuclear Medicine, Hĵpital Erasme, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe evaluated iodine and selenium status in 575 children between 5 and 15 years with Kashin-Beck disease from endemic and non-endemic areas. Of these 267 (46%) children had goiter. The proportion of subjects with goiter was higher in the villages with Kashin-Beck disease than in the control village. In the villages with Kashin-Beck disease, 105 (23%) of the subjects had a serum thyrotropin greater than 10 mU/l as compared with 3 (4%) in the control village. The percentages of low serum thyroxine values and low serum tri-iodothyronine were greater in the villages where Kashin-Beck disease was endemic than in the control village. The percentages of low urinary iodine concentration were significantly greater in the subjects with Kashin-Beck disease. The results suggest that in areas where severe selenium deficiency is endemic, iodine deficiency is a risk factor for Kashin-Beck disease.
- Kashin-Beck osteoarthropathy in rural Tibet in relation to selenium and iodine status.
- Authors: Moreno-Reyes R, Suetens C, Mathieu F, Begaux F, Zhu D, Rivera MT, Boelaert M, Nève J, Perlmutter N, Vanderpas J
- Issue date: 1998 Oct 15
- Selenium and iodine supplementation of rural Tibetan children affected by Kashin-Beck osteoarthropathy.
- Authors: Moreno-Reyes R, Mathieu F, Boelaert M, Begaux F, Suetens C, Rivera MT, Nève J, Perlmutter N, Vanderpas J
- Issue date: 2003 Jul
- The effect of short tandem repeat loci and low selenium levels on endemic osteoarthritis in China.
- Authors: Shi XW, Guo X, Ren FL, Li J, Wu XM
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Selenium, iodine and fungal contamination in Yulin District (People's Republic of China) endemic for Kashin-Beck disease.
- Authors: Zhang WH, Neve J, Xu JP, Vanderpas J, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2001
- Epidemiological support for a multifactorial aetiology of Kashin-Beck disease in Tibet.
- Authors: Suetens C, Moreno-Reyes R, Chasseur C, Mathieu F, Begaux F, Haubruge E, Durand MC, Nève J, Vanderpas J
- Issue date: 2001