Successful treatment of Mycobacterium ulcerans osteomyelitis with minor surgical debridement and prolonged rifampicin and ciprofloxacin therapy: a case report.
AffiliationDepartment of Infectious Diseases, The Geelong Hospital, Ryrie Street, Geelong, Australia. email@example.com.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of Medical Case Reports
AbstractABSTRACT: INTRODUCTION: Treatment for osteomyelitis-complicating Mycobacterium ulcerans infection typically requires extensive surgery and even amputation, with no reported benefit from adjunctive antibiotics. CASE PRESENTATION: We report a case of an 87-year-old woman with M. ulcerans osteomyelitis that resolved following limited surgical debridement and 6 months of therapy with rifampicin and ciprofloxacin. CONCLUSION: M. ulcerans osteomyelitis can be successfully treated with limited surgical debridement and adjunctive oral antibiotics.
- Chronic osteomyelitis: results obtained by an integrated team approach to management.
- Authors: Salvana J, Rodner C, Browner BD, Livingston K, Schreiber J, Pesanti E
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Outcomes for Mycobacterium ulcerans infection with combined surgery and antibiotic therapy: findings from a south-eastern Australian case series.
- Authors: O'Brien DP, Hughes AJ, Cheng AC, Henry MJ, Callan P, McDonald A, Holten I, Birrell M, Sowerby JM, Johnson PD, Athan E
- Issue date: 2007 Jan 15
- Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) osteomyelitis and septic arthritis in an immunocompetent host.
- Authors: Jones AR, Bartlett J, McCormack JG
- Issue date: 1995 Jan
- [Treatment of osteomyelitis by local antibiotics using a portable electronic micropump].
- Authors: Meani E, Romanõ C
- Issue date: 1994
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis sternal wound infection after open heart surgery: a case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Wang TK, Wong CF, Au WK, Cheng VC, Wong SS
- Issue date: 2007 Jun