Successful treatment of Mycobacterium ulcerans osteomyelitis with minor surgical debridement and prolonged rifampicin and ciprofloxacin therapy: a case report.
AffiliationDepartment of Infectious Diseases, The Geelong Hospital, Ryrie Street, Geelong, Australia. email@example.com.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of Medical Case Reports
AbstractABSTRACT: INTRODUCTION: Treatment for osteomyelitis-complicating Mycobacterium ulcerans infection typically requires extensive surgery and even amputation, with no reported benefit from adjunctive antibiotics. CASE PRESENTATION: We report a case of an 87-year-old woman with M. ulcerans osteomyelitis that resolved following limited surgical debridement and 6 months of therapy with rifampicin and ciprofloxacin. CONCLUSION: M. ulcerans osteomyelitis can be successfully treated with limited surgical debridement and adjunctive oral antibiotics.
- Chronic osteomyelitis: results obtained by an integrated team approach to management.
- Authors: Salvana J, Rodner C, Browner BD, Livingston K, Schreiber J, Pesanti E
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- [Treatment of osteomyelitis by local antibiotics using a portable electronic micropump].
- Authors: Meani E, Romanõ C
- Issue date: 1994
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis sternal wound infection after open heart surgery: a case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Wang TK, Wong CF, Au WK, Cheng VC, Wong SS
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Two-stage (posterior and anterior) surgical treatment of spinal osteomyelitis due to atypical mycobacteria and associated thoracolumbar kyphoscoliosis in a nonimmunocompromised patient.
- Authors: Hirakawa A, Miyamoto K, Ohno Y, Hioki A, Ogawa H, Nishimoto H, Yokoi T, Hosoe H, Shimizu K
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 1
- Buruli ulcer (Mycobacterium ulcerans infection).
- Authors: Walsh DS, Portaels F, Meyers WM
- Issue date: 2008 Oct