Measles in Democratic Republic of Congo: an outbreak description from Katanga, 2010--2011
N Goran, A
Luquero, F J
AffiliationEpicentre, Paris, France
MetadataShow full item record
JournalBMC Infectious Diseases
AbstractBACKGROUND: The Democratic Republic of Congo experiences regular measles outbreaks. From September 2010, the number of suspected measles cases increased, especially in Katanga province, where Medecins sans Frontieres supported the Ministry of Health in responding to the outbreak by providing free treatment, reinforcing surveillance and implementing non-selective mass vaccination campaigns. Here, we describe the measles outbreak in Katanga province in 2010--2011 and the results of vaccine coverage surveys conducted after the mass campaigns. METHODS: The surveillance system was strengthened in 28 of the 67 health zones of the province and we conducted seven vaccination coverage surveys in 2011. RESULTS: The overall cumulative attack rate was 0.71% and the case fatality ratio was 1.40%.The attack rate was higher in children under 4 and decreased with age. This pattern was consistent across districts and time. The number of cases aged 10 years and older barely increased during the outbreak. CONCLUSIONS: Early investigation of the age distribution of cases is a key to understanding the epidemic, and should guide the vaccination of priority age groups.
PublisherBioMed Central (Springer Science)
- Community-based measles mortality surveillance in two districts of Katanga Province, Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Authors: N'goran AA, Ilunga N, Coldiron ME, Grais RF, Porten K
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 17
- The effect of immunization on measles incidence in the Democratic Republic of Congo: Results from a model of surveillance data.
- Authors: Doshi RH, Shidi C, Mulumba A, Eckhoff P, Nguyen C, Hoff NA, Gerber S, Okitolonda E, Ilunga BK, Rimoin AW
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 27
- Measles outbreak in DR Congo an "epidemic emergency".
- Authors: Maurice J
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 5
- Antecedent causes of a measles resurgence in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Authors: Scobie HM, Ilunga BK, Mulumba A, Shidi C, Coulibaly T, Obama R, Tamfum JJ, Simbu EP, Smit SB, Masresha B, Perry RT, Alleman MM, Kretsinger K, Goodson J
- Issue date: 2015
- Measles outbreak response immunization is context-specific: insight from the recent experience of Médecins Sans Frontières.
- Authors: Minetti A, Bopp C, Fermon F, François G, Grais RF, Grout L, Hurtado N, Luquero FJ, Porten K, Sury L, Terzian M
- Issue date: 2013 Nov