Coadministration of lopinavir/ritonavir and rifampicin in HIV and tuberculosis co-infected adults in South Africa
AffiliationMedical Unit, Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders, New York, New York, United States of America
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn HIV-infected patients receiving rifampicin-based treatment for tuberculosis (TB), the dosage of lopinavir/ritonavir (LPV/r) is adjusted to prevent sub-therapeutic lopinavir concentrations. In this setting, South African clinicians were advised to administer super-boosted LPV/r (400 mg/400 mg) twice daily, instead of standard dosed LPV/r (400 mg/100 mg) twice daily. We sought to determine--in routine practice--the tolerability and HIV treatment outcomes associated with super-boosted LPV/r compared to unadjusted LPV/r in combination with rifampicin-based TB treatment.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Double-dose lopinavir-ritonavir in combination with rifampicin-based anti-tuberculosis treatment in South Africa.
- Authors: Sunpath H, Winternheimer P, Cohen S, Tennant I, Chelin N, Gandhi RT, Murphy RA
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- The safety, effectiveness and concentrations of adjusted lopinavir/ritonavir in HIV-infected adults on rifampicin-based antitubercular therapy.
- Authors: Decloedt EH, Maartens G, Smith P, Merry C, Bango F, McIlleron H
- Issue date: 2012
- Evaluation of super-boosted lopinavir/ritonavir in combination with rifampicin in HIV-1-infected patients with tuberculosis.
- Authors: Boulanger C, Rolla V, Al-Shaer MH, Peloquin C
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- Pharmacokinetics of adjusted-dose 8-hourly lopinavir/ritonavir in HIV-infected children co-treated with rifampicin.
- Authors: Rabie H, Rawizza H, Zuidewind P, Winckler J, Zar H, Van Rie A, Wiesner L, McIlleron H
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 1
- Population pharmacokinetics of lopinavir in combination with rifampicin-based antitubercular treatment in HIV-infected South African children.
- Authors: Elsherbiny D, Ren Y, McIlleron H, Maartens G, Simonsson US
- Issue date: 2010 Oct