Coadministration of lopinavir/ritonavir and rifampicin in HIV and tuberculosis co-infected adults in South Africa
AffiliationMedical Unit, Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders, New York, New York, United States of America
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn HIV-infected patients receiving rifampicin-based treatment for tuberculosis (TB), the dosage of lopinavir/ritonavir (LPV/r) is adjusted to prevent sub-therapeutic lopinavir concentrations. In this setting, South African clinicians were advised to administer super-boosted LPV/r (400 mg/400 mg) twice daily, instead of standard dosed LPV/r (400 mg/100 mg) twice daily. We sought to determine--in routine practice--the tolerability and HIV treatment outcomes associated with super-boosted LPV/r compared to unadjusted LPV/r in combination with rifampicin-based TB treatment.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Double-dose lopinavir-ritonavir in combination with rifampicin-based anti-tuberculosis treatment in South Africa.
- Authors: Sunpath H, Winternheimer P, Cohen S, Tennant I, Chelin N, Gandhi RT, Murphy RA
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- The safety, effectiveness and concentrations of adjusted lopinavir/ritonavir in HIV-infected adults on rifampicin-based antitubercular therapy.
- Authors: Decloedt EH, Maartens G, Smith P, Merry C, Bango F, McIlleron H
- Issue date: 2012
- Population pharmacokinetics of lopinavir in combination with rifampicin-based antitubercular treatment in HIV-infected South African children.
- Authors: Elsherbiny D, Ren Y, McIlleron H, Maartens G, Simonsson US
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Nevirapine- versus lopinavir/ritonavir-based initial therapy for HIV-1 infection among women in Africa: a randomized trial.
- Authors: Lockman S, Hughes M, Sawe F, Zheng Y, McIntyre J, Chipato T, Asmelash A, Rassool M, Kimaiyo S, Shaffer D, Hosseinipour M, Mohapi L, Ssali F, Chibowa M, Amod F, Halvas E, Hogg E, Alston-Smith B, Smith L, Schooley R, Mellors J, Currier J, OCTANE (Optimal Combination Therapy After Nevirapine Exposure) ACTG A5208/OCTANE Study Team.
- Issue date: 2012
- Sustained Viral Suppression in HIV-infected Children on Once-daily Lopinavir/Ritonavir in Clinical Practice.
- Authors: Gondrie IPE, Bastiaans DET, Fraaij PLA, Driessen GJA, van der Knaap LC, Visser EG, van Jaarsveld P, de Groot R, Hartwig NG, Burger DM, van Rossum AMC
- Issue date: 2017 Oct