Concomitant malaria among visceral leishmaniasis in-patients from Gedarif and Sennar States, Sudan: a retrospective case-control study
Authorsvan den Bogaart, Erika
Berkhout, Marieke Mz
Nour, Ayman Bym
Mens, Pètra F
Talha, Al-Badawi A
Adams, Emily R
Ahmed, Hashim Bm
Abdelrahman, Samira H
Nour, Bakri Ym
Schallig, Henk Dfh
AffiliationDepartment of Biomedical Research, Parasitology Unit, Royal Tropical Institute (KIT), Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalBMC Public Health
AbstractIn areas where visceral leishmaniasis (VL) and malaria are co-endemic, co-infections are common. Clinical implications range from potential diagnostic delay to increased disease-related morbidity, as compared to VL patients. Nevertheless, public awareness of the disease remains limited. In VL-endemic areas with unstable and seasonal malaria, vulnerability to the disease persists through all age-groups, suggesting that in these populations, malaria may easily co-occur with VL, with potentially severe clinical effects.
- Prevalence, features and risk factors for malaria co-infections amongst visceral leishmaniasis patients from Amudat Hospital, Uganda.
- Authors: van den Bogaart E, Berkhout MM, Adams ER, Mens PF, Sentongo E, Mbulamberi DB, Straetemans M, Schallig HD, Chappuis F
- Issue date: 2012
- Visceral leishmaniasis relapse in Southern Sudan (1999-2007): a retrospective study of risk factors and trends.
- Authors: Gorski S, Collin SM, Ritmeijer K, Keus K, Gatluak F, Mueller M, Davidson RN
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 8
- Leishmaniasis in Sudan. Visceral leishmaniasis.
- Authors: Zijlstra EE, el-Hassan AM
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Epidemiology of visceral leishmaniasis among children in Gadarif hospital, eastern Sudan.
- Authors: Ahmed MA, Ahmed AA, Omar SM, Adam GK, Abdallah TM, Ali AA
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 7
- Burden of visceral leishmaniasis in villages of eastern Gedaref State, Sudan: an exhaustive cross-sectional survey.
- Authors: Mueller YK, Nackers F, Ahmed KA, Boelaert M, Djoumessi JC, Eltigani R, Gorashi HA, Hammam O, Ritmeijer K, Salih N, Worku D, Etard JF, Chappuis F
- Issue date: 2012