Use of a Cholera Rapid Diagnostic Test during a Mass Vaccination Campaign in Response to an Epidemic in Guinea, 2012
Luquero, Francisco J
Grais, Rebecca F
AffiliationEuropean Programme for Intervention Epidemiology Training (EPIET), European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), Stockholm, Sweden ; Epicentre, Paris, France.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
AbstractDuring the 2012 cholera outbreak in the Republic of Guinea, the Ministry of Health, supported by Médecins Sans Frontières - Operational Center Geneva, used the oral cholera vaccine Shanchol as a part of the emergency response. The rapid diagnostic test (RDT) Crystal VC, widely used during outbreaks, detects lipopolysaccharide antigens of Vibrio cholerae O1 and O139, both included in Shanchol. In the context of reactive use of a whole-cell cholera vaccine in a region where cholera cases have been reported, it is essential to know what proportion of vaccinated individuals would be reactive to the RDT and for how long after vaccination.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Safety and immunogenicity study of a killed bivalent (O1 and O139) whole-cell oral cholera vaccine Shanchol, in Bangladeshi adults and children as young as 1 year of age.
- Authors: Saha A, Chowdhury MI, Khanam F, Bhuiyan MS, Chowdhury F, Khan AI, Khan IA, Clemens J, Ali M, Cravioto A, Qadri F
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 26
- First outbreak response using an oral cholera vaccine in Africa: vaccine coverage, acceptability and surveillance of adverse events, Guinea, 2012.
- Authors: Luquero FJ, Grout L, Ciglenecki I, Sakoba K, Traore B, Heile M, Dialo AA, Itama C, Serafini M, Legros D, Grais RF
- Issue date: 2013
- Immunogenicity of a killed bivalent (O1 and O139) whole cell oral cholera vaccine, Shanchol, in Haiti.
- Authors: Charles RC, Hilaire IJ, Mayo-Smith LM, Teng JE, Jerome JG, Franke MF, Saha A, Yu Y, Kováč P, Calderwood SB, Ryan ET, LaRocque RC, Almazor CP, Qadri F, Ivers LC, Harris JB
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Field evaluation of crystal VC Rapid Dipstick test for cholera during a cholera outbreak in Guinea-Bissau.
- Authors: Harris JR, Cavallaro EC, de Nóbrega AA, Dos S Barrado JC, Bopp C, Parsons MB, Djalo D, Fonseca FG, Ba U, Semedo A, Sobel J, Mintz ED
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Consecutive outbreaks of Vibrio cholerae O139 and V. cholerae O1 cholera in a fishing village near Karachi, Pakistan.
- Authors: Siddiqui FJ, Bhutto NS, von Seidlein L, Khurram I, Rasool S, Ali M, Zafar A, Deen JL, Clemens JD, Nizami Q, Bhutta ZA
- Issue date: 2006 May