AffiliationHealth Information Unit, Division of Health Information, Research and Analysis, Ministry of Health, Government Buildings, P.O. Box 2223, Suva, Fiji.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of Tropical Medicine
AbstractSetting. A nationwide study in Fiji. Objective. To describe the incidence of congenital rubella syndrome (CRS) and its relationship to the incidence of notified cases of rubella in Fiji from 1995 to 2010. Design. Descriptive, retrospective review of all recorded congenital abnormalities associated with live births in Fiji over 16 years. Results. There were 294 infants who met the criteria for CRS. Of these, 95% were classified as "suspected" cases, 5% were "clinically confirmed," and none were "laboratory confirmed cases". There was a significant linear increase over the study period in the incidence of CRS (odds ratio 1.045 per year, 95% CI 1.019 to 1.071, P ≤ 0.001). There was no significant association between the incidence of CRS and the reported incidence of rubella (P = 0.3). Conclusion. There is a rising trend in reports of suspected CRS cases in Fiji. This highlights the need to strengthen surveillance for CRS through improvements in clinical and laboratory diagnosis to confirm or exclude suspected cases. It is also important to ensure high coverage of rubella vaccination in Fiji.
PublisherHindawi Publishing Corporation
- Hospital based surveillance of congenital rubella syndrome cases in the pre-vaccine era in Amhara Regional State, Ethiopia: A base line information for the country.
- Authors: Wondimeneh Y, Tiruneh M, Ferede G, Denekew K, Admassu F, Tessema B
- Issue date: 2018
- Clinical profile of congenital rubella syndrome in Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
- Authors: Herini ES, Gunadi, Triono A, Wirastuti F, Iskandar K, Mardin N, Soenarto Y
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Hospital-based surveillance of congenital rubella syndrome in Indonesia.
- Authors: Herini ES, Gunadi, Triono A, Mulyadi AW, Mardin N, Rusipah, Soenarto Y, Reef SE
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Incidence of congenital rubella syndrome at a hospital serving a predominantly Hispanic population, El Paso, Texas.
- Authors: Zimmerman L, Reef SE
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Incidence, clinical features and estimated costs of congenital rubella syndrome after a large rubella outbreak in Recife, Brazil, 1999-2000.
- Authors: Lanzieri TM, Parise MS, Siqueira MM, Fortaleza BM, Segatto TC, Prevots DR
- Issue date: 2004 Dec