Nifurtimox-Eflornithine Combination Therapy for Second-stage Gambiense Human African Trypanosomiasis: Médecins Sans Frontières experience in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
AffiliationDivision of International and Humanitarian Medicine, University Hospitals of Geneva, Switzerland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
JournalClinical Infectious Diseases
AbstractExisting diagnostic and treatment tools for human African trypanosomiasis (HAT) are limited. The recent development of nifurtimox-eflornithine combination therapy (NECT) has brought new hopes for patients in the second stage. While NECT has been rolled out in most endemic countries, safety data are scarce and derive only from clinical trials. The World Health Organization (WHO) coordinates a pharmacovigilance program to collect additional data on NECT safety and efficacy. We report here the results of 18 months of experience of NECT use in treatment centers run by Médecins Sans Frontières in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
PublisherOxford University Press
DescriptionTo access this article, click on "Additional Links"
- Nifurtimox-eflornithine combination therapy for second-stage African Trypanosoma brucei gambiense trypanosomiasis: a multicentre, randomised, phase III, non-inferiority trial.
- Authors: Priotto G, Kasparian S, Mutombo W, Ngouama D, Ghorashian S, Arnold U, Ghabri S, Baudin E, Buard V, Kazadi-Kyanza S, Ilunga M, Mutangala W, Pohlig G, Schmid C, Karunakara U, Torreele E, Kande V
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 4
- In-hospital safety in field conditions of nifurtimox eflornithine combination therapy (NECT) for T. b. gambiense sleeping sickness.
- Authors: Schmid C, Kuemmerle A, Blum J, Ghabri S, Kande V, Mutombo W, Ilunga M, Lumpungu I, Mutanda S, Nganzobo P, Tete D, Mubwa N, Kisala M, Blesson S, Mordt OV
- Issue date: 2012
- Nifurtimox-eflornithine combination therapy for second-stage Trypanosoma brucei gambiense sleeping sickness: a randomized clinical trial in Congo.
- Authors: Priotto G, Kasparian S, Ngouama D, Ghorashian S, Arnold U, Ghabri S, Karunakara U
- Issue date: 2007 Dec 1
- Prescription of concomitant medications in patients treated with Nifurtimox Eflornithine Combination Therapy (NECT) for T.b. gambiense second stage sleeping sickness in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Authors: Kuemmerle A, Schmid C, Kande V, Mutombo W, Ilunga M, Lumpungu I, Mutanda S, Nganzobo P, Ngolo D, Kisala M, Valverde Mordt O
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- A multicentre, randomised, non-inferiority clinical trial comparing a nifurtimox-eflornithine combination to standard eflornithine monotherapy for late stage Trypanosoma brucei gambiense human African trypanosomiasis in Uganda.
- Authors: Kansiime F, Adibaku S, Wamboga C, Idi F, Kato CD, Yamuah L, Vaillant M, Kioy D, Olliaro P, Matovu E
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 22