Evaluation of Tuberculosis Diagnostics in Children: 1. Proposed clinical case definitions for classification of Intrathoracic Tuberculosis Disease. Consensus from an expert panel
AuthorsGraham, S M
Cuevas, L E
Gie, R P
Hesseling, A C
Kabra, S K
Marais, B J
McNeeley, D F
Starke, J R
AffiliationCentre for International Child Health, University of Melbourne Department of Paediatrics and Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, Australia. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of Infectious Diseases
AbstractThere is a critical need for improved diagnosis of tuberculosis in children, particularly in young children with intrathoracic disease as this represents the most common type of tuberculosis in children and the greatest diagnostic challenge. There is also a need for standardized clinical case definitions for the evaluation of diagnostics in prospective clinical research studies that include children in whom tuberculosis is suspected but not confirmed by culture of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. A panel representing a wide range of expertise and child tuberculosis research experience aimed to develop standardized clinical research case definitions for intrathoracic tuberculosis in children to enable harmonized evaluation of new tuberculosis diagnostic technologies in pediatric populations. Draft definitions and statements were proposed and circulated widely for feedback. An expert panel then considered each of the proposed definitions and statements relating to clinical definitions. Formal group consensus rules were established and consensus was reached for each statement. The definitions presented in this article are intended for use in clinical research to evaluate diagnostic assays and not for individual patient diagnosis or treatment decisions. A complementary article addresses methodological issues to consider for research of diagnostics in children with suspected tuberculosis.
PublisherOxford University Press
DescriptionTo access this article, click on "Additional Links"
- Evaluation of tuberculosis diagnostics in children: 2. Methodological issues for conducting and reporting research evaluations of tuberculosis diagnostics for intrathoracic tuberculosis in children. Consensus from an expert panel.
- Authors: Cuevas LE, Browning R, Bossuyt P, Casenghi M, Cotton MF, Cruz AT, Dodd LE, Drobniewski F, Gale M, Graham SM, Grzemska M, Heinrich N, Hesseling AC, Huebner R, Jean-Philippe P, Kabra SK, Kampmann B, Lewinsohn D, Li M, Lienhardt C, Mandalakas AM, Marais BJ, Menzies HJ, Montepiedra G, Mwansambo C, Oberhelman R, Palumbo P, Russek-Cohen E, Shapiro DE, Smith B, Soto-Castellares G, Starke JR, Swaminathan S, Wingfield C, Worrell C
- Issue date: 2012 May 15
- Clinical Case Definitions for Classification of Intrathoracic Tuberculosis in Children: An Update.
- Authors: Graham SM, Cuevas LE, Jean-Philippe P, Browning R, Casenghi M, Detjen AK, Gnanashanmugam D, Hesseling AC, Kampmann B, Mandalakas A, Marais BJ, Schito M, Spiegel HM, Starke JR, Worrell C, Zar HJ
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 15
- Assessment of children exposed to adult pulmonary tuberculosis in Cali, Colombia.
- Authors: Villegas SL, Ferro BE, Rojas CM, Perez-Velez CM
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Confirming the diagnosis of tuberculosis in children in Northern Portugal.
- Authors: Ladeira I, Correia AM, Dias J, Gaio R, Carvalho I, Carvalho A, Duarte R
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Intrathoracic tuberculosis in children.
- Authors: Vallejo JG, Starke JR
- Issue date: 1996 Sep